Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

Very pretty.  I put my tulips in three large pots on patio outside sliding door so they can be enjoyed when the weather is still chilly.  This year I did a combination of lavender, pink and apricot in the pots.  Last year it was solid red.  

Honored Contributor

Our daffs are done here pretty much. Next up are the dogwoods & peonies, then roses. 

Great photos as always.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom     I live in an apt. but I have a deck.  Today I went out for my flowers and vines.  I picked up two deep bright pink geraniums and I will use this deep blue/purple tiny flowers for filler and add some vine to the front of the pot.  Then I bought lavender looking Impatiens and variegated sweet potato vine (first time I have seen this).  It is deep purple leaves with medium green veining == very pretty.  Then I picked up some vines and a magenta petunia.  I am doing all different pink shades this year.  I have a hanging basket and a long pot for the geraniums and other variety of pots.  Now all I need is the dirt.  I only need 20 lbs.  I have to go back out tomorrow (Friday) for Miracle Grow dirt.  I have limited myself to the amount of flowers I buy because it's too much work and watering (I have to fill up the water in the kitchen).  I love flowers and if I could handle more I would have them everywhere!  lol   You are so lucky to be able to dig in the dirt.  I use to enjoy that when I had my townhouse.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  BTW, your yard area is beautiful.  You are lucky.   HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, I didn’t realize peonies bloomed so early.  My father was a big gardener.  He had peonies at our family home.  I remember how pretty they are and remember him staking them.  How long do they bloom?  

They shoukd be be on my list.

i planted two clematis last year, first time and they are coming in now so I placed two New trellises for them to climb.  I also planted two climbing hydrangeas and put a trellis behind those.  One of them is bursting with flower buds and I only planted it last year so I am excited!

I have a big load of mulch to work this weekend so it will be busy.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1, post some photos.  It sounds lovely.  LM

Honored Contributor

Peonies are usually in bloom by me around end of May. One variety I have (‘Pink Hawaiian Coral’) blooms a week earlier. I have an ITOH peony called ‘Bartzella’ which was one of the first of these peonies (crossed an herbaceous with a tree peony) Has the characteristics of both — herbaceous stems & huge flowers like the tree peony on single stem (no disbudding required, if you do that with herbaceous ones). 

This particular peony can reach 4’ X 4’ at maturity. I counted at least 5 buds on mine yesterday. 

Depending on weather conditions, cooler weather keeps the blooms longer on them, figure about 2 - 3 weeks of bloom. Then the peony remains green all summer. Don’t let the spent flower go to seed, remove the bloom after it fades or when the petals drop. I have my peonies in a mixed border of shrubs & roses.

In the past I used peony hoops around them, but past 2 years have not. Their stems are strong & I rarely see the stems bending from the flower weight.

Some of my favorites: ‘Port Royale’, ‘White Cap’, ‘Pink Lemonade’, ‘Moon Over Barrington’, ‘Raspberry Sundae’, ‘Pink Hawaiian Coral’ & ‘Bowl of Beauty’.  You may need to get specific ones you want by mailorder. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  I still have a flip phone but I can take pictures but I have not taken any yet.  If you can tell me how to get a picture from the phone to the laptop, I'll take some.  

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Re: First Day in the Garden

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1, you usually use some kind of connecting wire to download photos.  It’s awhile since I had a flip phone.  Can you email photos to yourself, open them on your computer, save them and post from there?  Do a test run and see if it works.  LM