Honored Contributor

Ficus hedge in S. Florida. What have you used for white fly? What have you used for fertilizing.

[ Edited ]

I've a very small hedge of ficus here in S. Florida. It's missing leaves and my HOA wants the problem fixed. I've ordered some fertilizer and I think I need to treat for white fly. Any tips are appreciated. I'll have my gardener clip the top straight across a couple of inches to stimulate new growth below the cut. It's just started raining here, so this could be the problem. Hedge is 25 years old and usually does fine. We do have a statewide whitefly problem.

Valued Contributor

Re: Ficus hedge in S. Florida. What have you used for white fly? What have you used for fertilizing.

If you have a gardener , he should know what to do.

If your HOA is that picky, I'd move, they sound ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ficus hedge in S. Florida. What have you used for white fly? What have you used for fertilizing.

@pieman wrote:

If you have a gardener , he should know what to do.

If your HOA is that picky, I'd move, they sound ridiculous.

@pieman @I have to laugh. Our local gardeners have very little knowledge about plants or chemicals used to treat them. All they do is mow. 

Esteemed Contributor

I live in South Carolina and each year have to deal with white fly on my azaleas.  I bought this at Walmart.  It comes as a concentrate that you mix with water or you can get it in a spray bottle.  I usually spray the shrubs once or twice each year in June or July and that's all I need to do.  

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 7.08.05 PM.png