Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan

Yes, those vibrant colors!

What strikes me is that they never have to change their feathers, like we change our clothes & colors, and they always look perfect!

Have you ever seen an Indigo Bunting?! I used to get them at the double-decker bird feeder my DH built in our backyard.

We do get Eastern Bluebirds all around us. They are so pretty, too!

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa I've only seen indigo bunting in pictures.  I wish I could have seen them up close like you!  My next door neighbors have put up a feeder near our property line, and I look forward to seeing what it attracts this spring and summer.  😊

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa@wildcat fan, one winter a few years ago I was sitting in my living room which overlooks my backyard.  I looked out and saw something bright blue in color.  I thought it was a rag ... then it moved.  I went down to the den to check it out and got some photos.  I had no idea what kind of bird it was as I had never seen one before.  Posting on our local garden site, it was identified as an indigo bunting.  What a striking color.  We are at the northern extent of their range.  We feed the birds in winter and he must have seen others feeding.  He stayed a day or so and was gone.

We don't often get cardinals here but they occur in our Annapolis Valley which is a warmer part of the Province. It was such a treat to see them.

I do miss watching the osprey fish on the salt water but I still prefer the lake for swimming.  Much warmer.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

Your juncos migrate to our area in the winter and then go back home to Canada once our weather warms up.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Re: Female Cardinals

[ Edited ]

You are all so fortunate to have such nice colorful birds.  We have very few and sadly, no cardinals which is my favorite bird.  We do have roadrunners which I bet most of you don't have.  I don't like them because they eat the babies of other species.  They seem to be mostly carnivorous, living on lizards, small snakes, bugs, etc.  Some people feed them hamburger meat and they peck on patio doors asking for snacks. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Harpa

Yes I have seen just one Indigo Bunting in my life.

I was standing at the front window in late afternoon sunlight and saw this gorgeously colored teal / blue green / black bird.  Called my birder friend who told me what I was seeing.   Rare for here.   Magnificent colors !!!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You are all so fortunate to have such nice colorful birds.  We have very few and sadly, no cardinals which is my favorite bird.  We do have roadrunners which I bet most of you don't have.  I don't like them because they eat the babies of other species.  They seem to be mostly carnivorous, living on lizards, small snakes, bugs, etc.  Some people feed them hamburger meat and they peck on patio doors asking for snacks. 

@Kachina624  Do you have a greater variety of hummingbirds?  Here in the East, we have just the Ruby-Throated.

Respected Contributor

I always see a male cardinal with a female, here in my feeder.   I have it right out my back sliders.  Every morning, I get to enjoy them while I have my coffee.  Right now, I'm getting little Finches, and Doves too.   Cardinals are always here...the male...then comes the female...all day.  Just beautiful!!

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624  Do you have a greater variety of hummingbirds?  Here in the East, we have just the Ruby-Throated.

@ValuSkr  The only hummers I get are Anna's and later on the Rufus.  We don't have the Ruby Throat.  When you get really up high in the mountains, the hummers are thick.  I've seen 15-20 around one feeder.  Then WWIII breaks out.  I think it's all the wildflowers that attract them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Re: Female Cardinals

[ Edited ]

It was a bleak, rainey day here today in WNY, so my husband and I took a car ride over to an Amish community near us to buy some horseshoes for our draft horses.  While I was waiting for my husband to come out from the Amish blacksmith I looked over to their bird feeder and there was at least twenty Cardinals, it was the most heartwarming  beautiful thing I've seen in a long time.  What a great day to see such a wonderful site.