Esteemed Contributor

Re: Feeding Hummingbirds during the winter.

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I haven't seen any today....so I think they are migrating....they were eating like little piggies last week...

That's why I leave my feeders up until I don't see any for a few days.  I give them a chance to load up before they start migrating.  After I haven't seen any for a couple of weeks, I put the feeders away.

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

@esmerelda   

I am already missing my little hummer pals and they have not even left yet. 

I usually set my feeders out the first week of March and bring them in the first week of December.   Yes, DECEMBER!  I saw a hummer at my feeder on Thanksgiving Day one year and he appreciated that  feeder very much.  He was in the area for a few days.  

The food still needs to be changed out weekly and feeder cleaned.  I usually make a smaller batch each week after October when most have migrated.  

The *regular*  hummers in your area may migrate on out but sometimes you may have some hummers that are in travel mode come through the yard for some rest and food on their journey South.  

I am in  SW GA about an hour North of Tallahassee,FLA 

OH and I do have a question.   Recently a very small green lizard has been lurking on my humming bird feeder!  ??  I gently encourage him to MOVE and then see more hummers.  I believe he is scaring the hummers away!    Can a small lizard attack a hummer?  They seem afraid of the little lizard and stay away when he is out *lounging in the sun*.   CAT

Honored Contributor

I have the humming pigs---all year round. I make their food and wash everything every week. Don't have lizards tho. I'm in WA state.

Valued Contributor

I'm experiencing a big increase in hummers (south central Texas) so I figure they are migrating.

I wash the container and refill fresh nectar twice a week.  By the 4th day, the nectar starts to smell bad, so no way can I leave nectar out for a week.  I notice the smell when I am at the sink dumping out the unused nectar. Also, left for a week, there would be mold in the feeder.  

Here we see hummers from mid to late February through October, at least.  I also wait two full weeks of no hummers before I take down the feeder.  It's important to keep the feeder up so migrants can fuel up while in transit.

Honored Contributor

I live NE of Seattle and have hummers year round. I just bring the feeder in at night when it is supposed to freeze. Have  a male and female hanging around lately. Usually have 3 of them year round.