Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite wasp deterrents?

Thanks, everyone.

I'm going shopping for Irish Spring soap bars and hope these guys have the same sense of smell as yours did, @butterfly123 

I don't have a nest, just more flying ones than I'd like.  I believe they have an underground nest in the common area (perhaps several), which I will be reporting to the HOA. I'm surprised the gardeners haven't already noticed and reported it.  

But first, I'm going to fill some zippered plastic bags with water (don't have any jars, @Drythe,  since old jars tend to go out with recycling!).  I read online the "water in the bag" may work.

I also just found I have some eucalyptus oil (been using clove and peppermint and other recommended ones up to now) and will see how effective eucalyptus is. Or maybe I just need to use more oil.

This is, so far, an interesting science experiment, but obviously I'd like them to stay away.  Thank you again for the thoughtful ideas.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach 

Was just coming back to say can use plastic bags!  

Have used them at rescue shelters for flies, and yellow jackets.

Some are flee quickly, some are ‘Meh’.

Hope you have the flee-ers.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Unless it's just because it's getting later in the day here, @Drythe , but I think the bags and the eucalyptus are beginning to have more effect than the other things I've tried.  I just sprinkled the oil directly from the container, instead of putting it into a sprayer with water.

I don't know how old my eucalytus oil was (although I know they do last a while), I'm still going to buy a fresh one tomorrow.  

Kiku was still willing to go out, but she is curious about flying creatures, and I don't want to see any poor outcomes from curiousity.

IMG_3383 (2).jpg Related image

This                               OR                         this?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

No contest!

Furries, every time!

@GingerPeach 

I ♥️ Kiku 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras