Respected Contributor

Re: Fast growing bush suggestions

Thanks @jlkz . I gave up protecting plants from them long ago.  I have a rather big yard with plenty of garden jobs for me already!  Deer are a huge issue here, So I only plant what I know they don't like... ie: boxwood, Other conifers...  But for those living in more urban setting, so many other nice choices- Not here! Live near Lyme CT! 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone....time to head to our local nurserys....

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624   I think they grow elsewhere besides Texas but they are overused here. As a result, many landscapes are now suffering from the effects of our horrible winter storm and full of crispy dead ligustrums!

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs    I looked them up today and they are used in tropical and semi tropical climates because they freeze, which is why they're not seen in NM.  They are hugely over planted in Texas but they grow fast and can get huge.  They're very attractive. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

How about some Butterfly Bush? Grows fast, brings in the butterflies and hummingbirds and hides the neighbor's mess. Real pretty too.

Grand Cascade Butterfly Bush, Garden Center Bareroot: Jung Seed Company

Respected Contributor

Podacarpus is an excellent evergreen shrub for privacy. Once it take off it grows rapidly. Its a needle like soft yew & disease resistance & I think it is hardy in zone 6. It is more upright & can be pruned formally & neat. Also deer risistance. @Nataliesgramma Great privacy shrub.

Respected Contributor

Portugese laurel. But make sure you like it because once planted, you can NEVER get rid of it. Ask me how I know--ours has been in place since 1977.

Occasionally our neighbors collaborate with us on cutting it all the way to the ground but within a year or two they're 6' tall.