Honored Contributor

No hard frost yet so flowers are blooming. I pulled out the tomatoes because I doubt they will ripen in 55 degree weather, and I pulled out the scraggly petunias. My planters are all decorated with fall plants that can withstand colder temps.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr@Carmie, Inwoukd be wild if I p,anted 300 bulbs and had nothing to show for it!  That’s a lot of hard work.

I have some Allium and some crocus to go in.  I have been moving things around again 😩.  

Once the garden is done, it will be time to get at the leaves.  

The weather is good for working king outside now.  Nice and cool.  No bugs.  That is why I like to do a good Fall cleanup.  Less time with the black flies come Spring.

It is our Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend.  I have a lovely plump turkey and am looking forward to a Sunday feast.  LM

Honored Contributor

Happy Thanksgiving @Lilysmom

I put 2 roses to bed so to speak — cut them down from 6’ to 4’. I also cut back a low growing pink flowering deutzia. It was very happy & starting to root along its stems. Little by little it all gets done.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom  Didn't compost. Put in a sealed bag for the trash haulers the following morning. Strange that only the peonies in part of the back yard were affected. Think the gazebo may have shaded them from the sun this late in the year. Never has happened before. Oh well.

Mini and small hosta that I'm able to remember off the top of my head are: (2) Hands Up, (3) Praying Hands, (2) Blue Mouse Ears, (2) Church Mouse, (2) School Mouse, Lucky Mouse, Mighty Mouse, Mini Skirt in the raised Mouse bed (give or take on the quantities and names. IDK without the tags. Also some other things for texture and color. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady That is exactly how I do shade perennials — for foliage mostly & flowers are a bonus. 

I mixed Hakone grass with toad lilies because I wanted something different to look at besides astilbes, ferns & hostas. One area of my garden has sun going to deeper shade. So that area has daylilies towards the front with lady’s mantle, lady ferns, an astilbe & a summer blooming pink bleeding heart. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor
I have all but 1 front bed all taken care of, this one will only take maybe half and hour to cut back and it too will be ready to sleep through the winter. Now waiting for leaves, once they start dropping, it will be a full time job until the snow fall stops me.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

@KentuckyWoman, I hate leaves!  I did the lakeside cleanup today.  DH and  I went at it.  We took out a spruce tree and a maple to let two nicely shaped maples grow unhindered.  It really opened up the area.  Good move as long as it doesn’t create a wet spot.

There are days when I feel like pioneer woman.  I think I must have been in another life! LM

Esteemed Contributor

The maple tree across from my garage.  Hard not to love Fall.  LM

96607D15-6BBB-41FF-94F9-5DA87C760C04.jpeg

Honored Contributor
I am now just waiting on the leaves to fall. Some have started falling, but just a few. It's getting rather chilly out though, so they need to go ahead and drop, lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

I'm in the Northeast (NewEngland) and wow...It was 85 and humid Tues/Weds and I just now finished bringing in my plants because we're getting a frost tonight!  I give up!

Weather has been so off this year I'm way out of whack-  Ususally we ease from summer to fall.  Not this year!  Left the pool open an extra 3 weeks into September and used it every day!  

Tomorrow I have to start a major clean up which includes leaves, trimming etc.  Then I 'm going to have to get the  lawn/patio/pool furniture cleanded up and put away. 

I have to put everything away including my garden beds.  I hate spring clean up after snow, slush, salt, sand.  The cleaner I get this place in the fall the easier it is in the spring.