Honored Contributor

@skatting44 

I was thinking to peruse some bulbs but didn't know where to start.

I don't need 100 bulbs for a great price ala Costco - 

I went to the site you listed and yes I wound up buying some tulips, daffodils and an amaryllis to make the minimum

I really should get a bulb planter - I hate digging and all the dirt falls back in

suggestions? I don't want a big long handle - something small

TIA

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne 

'

holy cow - 200 bulbs? I tired just thinking about it

but I bet it is stunning next spring - my fav season

Esteemed Contributor

Yea, have that problem. The deer even ate my Iris and Hydrangea plants. I've resorted to putting  chicken wire fence  around all my  flower gardens ....

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of link to another retailer

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 I used to buy them from Brecks until I realized the squirrels were eating all the bulbs. Now I only plant daffys, crocus and other things squirrels don't eat.

Honored Contributor

Squirrels will eat crocus but not squill or hyacinths. I had to resort to daffodils in my yard as well and gave up on tulips.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I have been trying to find iris bulbs. But I have no confidence in my planting. I bought double begonia bulbs. And I planted them the way I thought they should be planted. Nothing.

Planted dahlia bulbs. They are absolutely beautiful and huge.

Now I am not sure if I should try iris. A few more tulips would look nice too. I just like all the flowers popping up in spring. The daffodils are really doing so well.

Will check out John Scheepers.

Tuberous begonias tubers are quirky little things to plant. They're often at their best just nestled into soil rather than planted. There's typically a hollow side that should be facing up. They're very, very prone to rot until well established, so you have to be very mindful watering them. Too much water and they'll rot. Too little and they'll just sit there and not do anything. Plant them too deep, they'll rot. Let water accumulate in the hollow and they'll rot. Don't be discouraged that your tuberous begonias didn't do well. They can be a challenge for even experienced growers. They're quite stunning flowers, but I find it easiest to grow them from seed when I want them. It takes them forever to grow from seed (I'll start mine in December) but they're more reliable from seed. The seeds are very small, but quite inexpensive. You can typically get the seeds for about $.10 per seed or so. Compared to the price for tubers, that's quite the bargain. The seeds tend to grow quite well for me. They just take forever to get big. If I start them in December, come May they're typically good-sized plants and ready to put on a show.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!