Esteemed Contributor

Re: FINALLY! We have an occupied birdhouse!

@mousiegirl, they are gone now.  I kind of feel bad about blocking the hole...I'll have to think about this one.  It's pretty close to the house and the squirrels drive my dog crazy.  LM

Honored Contributor

An update:

Yay! I'm starting to hear peeps of babies inside the birdhouse...should be any day now we'll have fledglings...WOOT!!!  

We are thrilled because it was becoming worrisome with the excessive heat here over the past couple of weeks. We weren't sure if they would get through, but they did! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

This is a beautiful birdhouse.  Amazing that it took them that long to like it.

Enjoy the new birdies.

Trusted Contributor

@Susan Louise

How exciting to see the birds make a new little home! I have had the pleasure of having a few bird families make nests in my trees/bushes and it is always a thrill!

Very fancy house for the little wren family!

Honored Contributor

We have a birdhouse shaped likea flamingo. The birds like to perch on it's beak.

Contributor

Susan Louise,

I am so glad for you. I understand your excitement. We have raised 3 sets of blue birds,3 sets of Red birds and 1 set of Brown thrasher this year. Only the blue birds built their nests in bird houses, the others nested in brushes and my blue berries. My hubby and i love all the birds we have in our yard. He puts out seed about every 3 days and the finches eat figs all day long. We have a little bit of all kinds of birds. Woodpeckers, doves, titmouse, wrens, sparrows,Hummers, Brown thrashers, Red birds, Robins, Blue birds, Finches and a few more that i can't think of right now. We have quite a few blue bird houses. We have a large martin house but i have not seen any Martins in quite a few years now. Hubby cleans our bird houses at the end of season every year.

When i work in my garden in the morning, i have a bench that i will take a break and sit down and watch the birds flying around and singing their little hearts out. So peaceful, my blood pressure drops and i am so relaxed. I get my best ideas while sitting in that spot.

Happy fledgling  (lol)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maggiemae1 wrote:

Susan Louise,

I am so glad for you. I understand your excitement. We have raised 3 sets of blue birds,3 sets of Red birds and 1 set of Brown thrasher this year. Only the blue birds built their nests in bird houses, the others nested in brushes and my blue berries. My hubby and i love all the birds we have in our yard. He puts out seed about every 3 days and the finches eat figs all day long. We have a little bit of all kinds of birds. Woodpeckers, doves, titmouse, wrens, sparrows,Hummers, Brown thrashers, Red birds, Robins, Blue birds, Finches and a few more that i can't think of right now. We have quite a few blue bird houses. We have a large martin house but i have not seen any Martins in quite a few years now. Hubby cleans our bird houses at the end of season every year.

When i work in my garden in the morning, i have a bench that i will take a break and sit down and watch the birds flying around and singing their little hearts out. So peaceful, my blood pressure drops and i am so relaxed. I get my best ideas while sitting in that spot.

Happy fledgling  (lol)

@maggiemae1  Thanks...and Wow! You must live on a nice chunk of land! I wish we could have Bluebirds and Chickadees here...just not the habitat for them.

We had a female Cardinal build nests in our honeysuckle a few times..that was fun! 

Our house sits on about 1/6th-1/7th of a acre and our back yard is about 30' x 60'. 

We only get hummingbirds during the migration periods...any day now we should see our 1st of the Fall migration. Our earliest for a Fall migration was a Rufous on 7/17/2013. We live right on the western edge of the migration route for the RT hummers and about 60 miles too far west for them to breed here...oh well. It makes it that much more exciting during the migration periods!

I agree with you about lowering the blood pressure...birds bring pure joy Smiley Happy

As for the Wren babies...it has gotten to a point it should be no more than 3 days from now when they fledge. They are getting rambunctious in the birdhouse. I can see them inside like they are popping in a popcorn machine...ROFL

Every day DH and I wake up early because we don't want to miss the event! 

I know when we feed the Robins, they bring their fledglings around to our mealworm trays. This is a 1st time for us with Wrens, so we don't know what to expect...if they will stick around within our gardens/yard or take off never to be seen again...hoping the mated pr will return next year. 

Contributor

Susan Louise,

We have an  acre lot and that backs up to a 3 acre lot with two horses and a pond. I have a lot of old large Oak trees  and very large azalea and camelia's in my yard, so very good nesting places.

Do you put up feeders for the hummers that migrate in your area? Right now my hummers are fighting among each other. I only have two feeders out right now. I have one on the Patio and when DH and I go to sit and enjoy the afternoon on the Patio we sometimes have to duck because the little critters will dip down at us and give us a fly bye. (lol)

One set of our Red Birds hatched their babies in a vine over my fish pond which connects to my upper patio and I got to watch the whole egg laying and hatching of 3 baby birds. I watch the feeding of the babies by Mom and Pop and i talked to them when the parents were gone to hunt for worms. Their little heads would pop up and their mouths would open and want me to feed them. (lol) It was bitter sweet when they left the nest but i know they made it. Two of them were waiting on me the morning they left their nest. They were sitting in the Vines as if to tell me Good Bye. They were gone within a couple of hours. They were so cute with their little top knot.

Enjoy those Babies!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

UPDATE:

On 8/1 just before 6:30am the babies fledged...and there were 3 cuties! Below are 4 pics...

1st 2 pics were taken on 7/31...the day before fledging. This little one was the initial 'lookout'...LOL

P3900620.JPG

Then a 2nd poked it's head out - under roof on left side...

P3900637.JPG

Waking up on 8/1...one in front and one on right side under roof. These 2 pics weren't that good due to bad lighting in the very early am hours.

P3910427.JPG

And the only pic I have of all 3 together before they fledged. It's a bit blurry, but you can still see one in front and 2 on the right side under the roof  Smiley Very Happy   Godspeed little ones!

P3910445.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

UPDATE:

On 8/1 just before 6:30am the babies fledged...and there were 3 cuties! Below are 4 pics...

1st 2 pics were taken on 7/31...the day before fledging. This little one was the initial 'lookout'...LOL

P3900620.JPG

Then a 2nd poked it's head out - under roof on left side...

P3900637.JPG

Waking up on 8/1...one in front and one on right side under roof. These 2 pics weren't that good due to bad lighting in the very early am hours.

P3910427.JPG

And the only pic I have of all 3 together before they fledged. It's a bit blurry, but you can still see one in front and 2 on the right side under the roof  Smiley Very Happy   Godspeed little ones!

P3910445.JPG

@Susan Louise  Aw, thanks for sharing the pictures.  I know it was bittersweet to see them leave, kind of feels like they are yours. So sweet.  I hope they have a long healthy life.  I love to sit under the trees by the creek that runs in back of our yard and watch the birds fluttering about.  They like to go down to the creek and sit on the rocks in the bottom when the creek is low on water.

Maybe yours will return next year since they know it's a safe place to be.  I know a lot of people will enjoy the pictures. Thanks again.