Honored Contributor

Why do the flower companies on QVC have to ridiculously over-exagerate the flower size.  I have their tuberous begonias, and while they were nice (the first year), they were nowhere near as large as they show in their presentation.  I guess I haven't quite figured out how to over-winter the tubers since I got no blooms this past year.

The dahlias in their presentation were so ridiculously large I wouldn't even think of putting them in my garden.  

I buy stuff all the time at my local nurseries that don't overexagerate the size.  

And everything has to be rare and my not be available next year.  Sheesh!

I did fall for the pot strawberries though not for anything in the presentation, but because I'm interested in anything edible I can grow in small spaces.  I thought it odd though that they offered an auto-delivery option.  Strawberries are supposed to be hardy, and since you grow them in pots you could bring into the garage, so why would you need a new shipment next year?

They need to spend more time on properly growing and shipping their product.  I got DOA products a couple of years ago.  If that happens this time, I'll be done with them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess I have zero luck in buying from Cottage Farms, it takes so long after it ships to arrive to my home they arrive dead, I still try to bring them back to life but I have never been able to, I just gave up after too many failed attempts.

I never tried Roberta's?

Honored Contributor

Cottage Farms Direct is in AL, so maybe that is why I have had a bit better luck with them since I am also in AL.  I bought some Chinese Lilace shrubs from them many years ago and they have done great.  I think they are also where I got the 2 Clivias from.  One of them died before I figured out they like to be root-bound and not watered so much.  Luckily, the one that survived was the more rare yellow one.  I finally figured out how to make it bloom last year, although it was never in the instructions that they need winter temps in the 50's.  

Not so great luck with Roberta's.  I have their "giant" begonias, and while they were large and pretty the first year, nowhere near as big as they advertise.  I guess I haven't figured out how to properly over-winter them as they didn't bloom at all for me last year and at least a couple of the tubers died.  

Other things I have gotten from them have not done particularly well or were DOA.  I contacted them about the DOA, and last year they sent me "replacements" that were nothing like what I had ordered.  They looked almost exactly like the little daisy-like weeds in our yard.  So, I guess I'm crazy from ordering from them once again.  Hope springs eternal from the gardener I guess.  I really don't expect grand and glorious things from my garden, but I would like at least mediocre.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Why do the flower companies on QVC have to ridiculously over-exagerate the flower size.  

I've wondered the same thing.  And even if they're not exaggerating, the blooms on some of Q's plants are freakishly large.  I like my gardens to look normal, not like displays from Horticultural Ripley's.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a set of Roberta's begonias from QVC a few years ago, but none of them bloomed.  I got a refund.

I've ordered roses directly from Cottage Farms and was very pleased with their performance year after year.  I wish I could have taken them with me when we moved!

I agree that the blooms presented on QVC may not represent typical growth in the average yard.  I haven't watched a recent gardening show, but it seems like I've heard them make a disclaimer statement to let us know these were grown in a greenhouse or those were part of the rep's personal garden.  When they say things like that, I realize that I may not be able to recreate that because I'm not a master gardener nor do I have a greenhouse.  However, when they take a small plant and say something like "this is what you're going to get out of the box," I do take them at their word and would have no problem contacting customer service if it didn't look as promised.  I also didn't hesitate to contact them when my plants didn't even sprout even though I prepared the soil, watered adequately, and planted in appropriate sunlight.  That's happened with three of my QVC orders (begonias, peonies, and lilies) and as a result I've been hesitant to order anything else.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@Icegoddess I have zero luck in buying from Cottage Farms, it takes so long after it ships to arrive to my home they arrive dead, I still try to bring them back to life but I have never been able to, I just gave up after too many failed attempts.

I never tried Roberta's?

@CareBears  I am sorry to hear this.  All plants I have received from Cottage Farms have arrived in great condition, and are thriving.  I did receive a set of three roses a few years ago, not the roses I was supposed to receive, but they are so beautiful that I am now glad.  No one has been able to identify them, beginning with Cottage Farms cutomer service, and I havn't seen them anywhere.  Be sure to either ask for a replacement or refund for the dead items.

Honored Contributor

I did buy a tree lilac from Cottage Farms a few years back that arrived DOA.  Wasn't expecting that considering the luck I had had with Cottage Farms in the past.  Plus, since it was supposed to be dormant, I had to plant it and wait to find out it was dead.  They sent me a replacement, but had the exact same result.  They will only replace once.

I actually found one elsewhere online last year and now I finally have one in my garden and it has buds on it.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl QVC was more than accomodating in ALL my purchases from Cottage Farms, the last item I purchased from them after it shipped it was approximately 10 days later that I received the item, that is just too long for the item not to have received water, sunlight and for it to have sat on a hot truck, to tell you the truth I was not surprised at the condition in which I received it.

I just purchase locally now, glad to hear that you have had success with your purchases!

Trusted Contributor

When Cottage Farms and Robertas first came to QVC, I was suckered in too with the large blooms and great growth...most of what I bought died within the first year or year and a half. I have to say, they did stand by their promise to replace and or credit.

People have to understand that the plants that they show are from greenhouses that have been tended to by professional growers with micronutients and all those great things that are used to make you buy those plants!

Also, the plants that they show, are genrally sold in your Home Depot or Lowes. Don't be fooled. They sell directly to them too. I almost bought a desert rose plant from Robertas and QVC, and I happen to go in to our Home Depot, and guess what was sitting in the greehouse area? Yep, and four times the size than what was offered on the show...with a Robertas tag hanging on it.

Buy local! You will be much happier!

Super Contributor

@RedHeadedWench, please be careful what you buy in Home Depot. Many of their plants are systemically treated with Neonicotinoids, a pesticide which destroys the nervous sytstems of bees (you'll see a small plant tag stuck into the pot, usually behind the tag which identifies the plant, with the information that the plant has been treated to resist whiteflies and other destructive insects. It doesn't mention that the treatment will destroy beneficial insects, as well). Bees are in enough trouble without one of the two largest home stores in the US making the problem worse.