Honored Contributor

Re: Early evening, July 25, 2019

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl , too funny.  The big face had a clematis on each side so her hair was going to be bi color but one of the clematis died.  The doves keep their vigil over the phlox.  The deer has been there for a few years.  You have good eyes!  LM

@Lilysmom   I found the dragonfly though, lol.  I did notice the painted critters but had seen them before in your posts so didn't consider them new, lol.

Respected Contributor

Verrrrry nice!!
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Do the concrete animals remain outdoors year round? 

Here all concrete has to be stored — birdbath top turned upside down on its base. 

Coneflowers like the soil to be dry so if your soil was too wet during the winter, then they developed root or crown rot.

Brunnera does well by us. I have 2 areas in my backyard — under a dogwood & around a perennial hibiscus. The variety I have - ‘Jack Frost’ has variegated leaves so they really light up the shady areas.

Regular Brunnera has green leaves.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin ,thank you❤️!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom , I take the smaller painted concrete items in during winter.  The medium and large pieces stay put.  I seal the concrete and the paint stays ok.  We also dismantle the bird baths.

I lost both Brunnera and Jack Frost.  They are probably on the borderline for our zone so that loss didn’t surprise me but the coneflowers did.  I believe what you described is exactly what happened.  I haven’t bought much new this year.  I am moving a few things around as shrubbery gets larger.

I planted a Kousa Dogwood last year.  This year I had small flies on the tree and I believe it is midge flies.  I blasted them with water and that cleared them for awhile.  I had some leaf drop and some brown spots.  Today I pruned out some of the deadwood.  The tree bloomed and otherwise looks good.

What I read says to prune below the gall but there was no gall.  I just took out the dead wood.  Any thoughts?  There are fewer flies now but still some evidence. Any advice appreciated.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  I’d call in an arborist as that is beyond my knowledge.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom 

WOW!! This garden is just spectacular - I love all the whimsy and the color and the interesting flower choices. I wish I were "Lily's Neighbor" so I could come and sit in your garden! Smiley LOL

Thank you for sharing all these wonderful pictures with us - enjoy your oasis. Hard work, but I suspect it gives you and yours tremendous joy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow.  Your garden is a synonym for "flourish," @Lilysmom !  

Your hostas look especially fabulous.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  Thanks for the close-up pictures. They are so much prettier than I anticipated! You find such amazing, unique pieces. Great choice of paint colors, too. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  The dragonfly is stunning! Where do you find these pieces? Magazines or on-line? They certainly are not available in my high-end garden center (at any price). You have the space to continue adding such wimsy! Enjoy each find. Smiley Happy 

Money screams; wealth whispers.