Respected Contributor

Any input on throwing dryer lint out on the grass for birds to use as they build their nests?  I'm wondering if it is a safe, healthy thing to do, given all the issues our birds are having at this point in time. 

A bit of information:  I use a powdered detergent (Nellie's brand).  I add a bit of liquid ODO-BAN product to the wash.  Everything goes into the dryer.  I do not use dryer sheets.  I do use 3 of the dryer balls that look likje tennis balls. 

Esteemed Contributor

@maximillian  Not a good choice. I was wondering the same thing earlier this year, so I checked on the Audubon website. Here's what they said:

Dryer lint: Although it is popular to put out and seems like the perfect lining for a nest, dryer lint quickly loses its fluffiness and structure when wet. Dryer lint is unsustainable in the rain, crumbling and leaving holes in an otherwise solid nest.

Honored Contributor

@maximillian   I collect the hair after I brush my dogs and spread some of it on bushes for that purpose.  They have soft downy undercoat that I'd love if I was a bird. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

BTW: The Audubon site also lists the following as things to avoid for nesting birds:

Human hair: According to Gordon, human hair is a triple threat for birds: It’s long, thin, and strong. These characteristics can be a deadly combination, allowing the hair to easily ensnare a bird’s leg or wing and sever it. “You can wrap [hair] around your finger and cut your circulation off,” she says.

Yarn or string: Long strands of yarn and string can wrap around a bird. Hatchlings are particularly susceptible to such entanglements, Gordon says. Yarn in a nest can get caught around a baby bird and cut off circulation as it grows.

@Kachina624  I think animal hair would be OK.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom    A couple years ago, I rescued a baby swallow that had become entangled in threads from a piece of raveled gauze and was dangling from the mud nest by one leg.  I was able to get it free and put it back in the nest. 

Fortunately it was not up higher than my 6ft ladder would reach. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

MY birds never touched it and I tired of picking the mess up.

Birds know best I guess.............

Honored Contributor

I do the dog hair also.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

We used to brush our collie in the back yard near the bird feeders. The fur always seemed to disappear. Not sure if the birds used it or the fur just blew away with the wind.

BUT dryer lint - we collect it. My husband has been hiking the Appalachian Trail a bit at a time. When they do happen to camp, the dryer lint is an excellent starter for fire. And it burns longer than paper and is lightweight. So we have a bag of lint just waiting for his next hike.

Super Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   Thanks for the info!  I was planning on saving my dryer lint but won't now.  

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

Thank you.  Very good information you gave me; I definitely will NOT put it outside for the birds to use.