Honored Contributor

Don't Forget Our Feathered Friends!!

It's tough being me, a brilliantly plummed red cardinal! I spend my waking hours scoping out people's gardens looking for some peanut pieces and my favorite food-- safflower seeds. In a pinch, I'll even poach some of the thistle from the thistle feeder that my goldfinch friend constantly hogs over these cold months.

But what I wish for most is for these 2 legged upright walking animals to please put out a water source that doesn't freeze in the cold temperatures!! I want easy access to a saucer (plastic preferred over aluminum pan) because my beak is quite sharp and when the water level is low, I may put tiny holes into the aluminum and the water will drip out all over the ground rendering the watering hole useless!!

I wish that most of these 2 legged creatures put a water de-icer into the watering hole because when its cold, and I mean really cold, my beak cannot break through the ice layer on top to access the water beneath!!

A de-icer can be found at many local nurseries and the blue jay told me (when he wasn't squawking about nothing in general) that maybe the big box stores (those with the orange and blue roofs) might even carry them. An air conditioner wire with a third prong (the ground) attached to the plug and then put into a ground fault interupter outlet will keep the water from freezing over. I and my spouse (Olive) thank you and wish you upright creatures a very happy Holiday season!!Cool

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼