Honored Contributor

Does Anyone Else Love Bromeliads?

[ Edited ]

When I lived in the Houston area, I really got into these exotic plants, had a big greenhouse, around 100 varieties, and belonged to the Houston Bromeliad Society.  They mostly grow in the tops of trees in tropical climates, although there are a few unappealing varieties that live in arid areas. 

Compared to most plants, they grow very slowly, blooming and attaining full color at maturity, so they take patience.  I bought a few after I moved to the desert but they didn't do well and I had no place to winter them.  I soon gave up. 

Both Spanish moss and pineapples are members of the bromeliad family. 

Here are some beautiful examples. 

Screenshot_20230331_131626_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230331_132129_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230402_093029_Chrome.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Else Love Bromeliads?

Those are lovely! About the only ones I'm familiar with are the Cats & Kittens I have them on the patio but I don't have the environment to grow them here. Sure wish I did. 

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Valued Contributor

They're very pretty!  Too bad they don't do well in the desert would like them in my yard. 

Respected Contributor

I use to have them, really gorgeous plant!  Mine made babies, and multiplied, but never flowered again.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

I use to have them, really gorgeous plant!  Mine made babies, and multiplied, but never flowered again.  

@Dazlin 

After a bromeliad blooms, the mother plant gradually dies off and the babies grow up to bloom. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 

Oh my gosh, those pictures are so beautiful!  My late dad was a big bromeliad fan and had a lot of varieties.  I have just a few on my patio because I don't have enough shade for them.  But the ones I have in the one shady corner do well with very little care.  Thanks for those gorgeous pictures.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 , very colourful.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@Dazlin   Bromeliads never grow and bloom at a speedy rate.  Depending on the species, it can take a few to many years.  You probably weren't sufficiently patient.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

This is such a beautiful plant.  I had an indoor potted one, once.  I must not have been sufficiently patient with it because it unfortunately didn't do well so I tossed into the woods.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I purchased Neoregelia Romance two months ago from Home Depot.  I have it in my low light living room, but will place it by the window several times a week.  It is starting to flower.  It is absolutely stunning and I couldn't believe the pink color or how rigid the leaves are.