Contributor

Do ground covering plants (like the ice plants) smother perennials?

I have not been too successful with any Roberta's or Cottage Farms flowers; however, I been wanting to get ground covering plants for years. I've been afraid they will smother out my existing perennials (such as calla lilies, mums, etc.). Also, how do you keep ground coverings contained into one area? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Respected Contributor

Re: Do ground covering plants (like the ice plants) smother perennials?

I'm wondering those same questions. I was waiting for them to be addressed during the presentation, but they weren't.

I have a large Rhododendron bed, & the weeds love it. I was thinking this may work as a ground cover, but I'm not sure.

I wonder if these things go nuts, & end up all over the place if you try & keep them in a specific area?

Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2014 goldenretriever said:

I'm wondering those same questions. I was waiting for them to be addressed during the presentation, but they weren't.

I have a large Rhododendron bed, & the weeds love it. I was thinking this may work as a ground cover, but I'm not sure.

I wonder if these things go nuts, & end up all over the place if you try & keep them in a specific area?

You might want to do some weeding under those rhodies and then apply a 2" layer of mulch around them. The weeds once removed won't compete for the nutrients with the rhodies. The mulch will reduce their watering needs in warmer weather too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Thank you, JustJazz. I spend the entire growing season weeding this huge yard. I use corn gluten (only- no chemicals), & it helps. The problem is that none of my neighbors weed, so everything blows into my yard. I'll try the mulch idea.

Honored Contributor

I thought the common name was familiar to me!! Saw these on a trip to SF at Alkatraz Island.

Ice Plant [Drosanthemum floribundum]

Common name: Ice Plant, Dewflower Origin: South Africa Uses: An easy to grow ground cover that is useful for erosion control. Flowers appear in spring and late summer, does not require lots of water. Easy to propagate. The leaves resemble tiny ice droplets. On Alcatraz, Freddie Reichel planted the cell house slope with Ice Plant and it was visible from San Francisco. Today, the plant remains along the main road and on the west side of the Island.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

On 3/8/2014 JustJazzmom said:

I thought the common name was familiar to me!! Saw these on a trip to SF at Alkatraz Island.

Ice Plant [Drosanthemum floribundum]

Common name: Ice Plant, Dewflower Origin: South Africa Uses: An easy to grow ground cover that is useful for erosion control. Flowers appear in spring and late summer, does not require lots of water. Easy to propagate. The leaves resemble tiny ice droplets. On Alcatraz, Freddie Reichel planted the cell house slope with Ice Plant and it was visible from San Francisco. Today, the plant remains along the main road and on the west side of the Island.

Interesting!