Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do established perrienials need covered if it dips below freezing one night?

@Mom2Dogs-- I agree!   I'd love to have 3 days in a row of warm weather!

I caved and covered my pots on the porch (geraniums and million bells petunias).  It's 37 degrees right now - not as cold as predicted.   But I pity those east of us who are supposed to get snow today.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Do established perrienials need covered if it dips below freezing one night?

No snow overnight, but the outside water is all frozen. On May ninth. Yikes! I think it's this coming Thursday night where we have another big temp dip, then things finally look like they'll smooth out a bit and I can get things planted.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I covered everything that I could except the Iris and Day lilies because it was going down to 27 degrees now and some snow was possible according to the 6 O'clock news. I emptied the bird baths and took in the Hummingbird feeders.....just to be safe.

I think we have one more day coming with low temps like this.

Honored Contributor

We've got a forecast low of 39 tonight, then 42 on Tuesday and 45 on Wednesday, then we finally climb out of the cold snap and get back to more normal temperatures from Thursday on. Thursday is the fourteenth, out last anticipated frost date here, but typically from the latter half of April on, we're frost-free. Mother Nature is taking it right to the last possible day this year.

A freeze a couple of weeks ago even hit a few of my plants in the cold-frame which never happens. It's been a weird year in the old garden.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

we too had frost 2 days in a row ,  I was so worried about our red maple as we lost one 2 yrs ago due to warm in April then a blast of cold when it was just leafing out .   No way to cover though.   Did cover the hydrangeas they just started growing along with our day lillies that were pretty far along in the blooming.   Covered them with flower pots ,  worked well .    I feel that our Flamingo dappled Willis shrubs aren't going to do well this season as they are just all green ,  no dappled pink, ivory, green as they should be right now . I think the problem is they had started growing and had been the tricolor too early cause we had a few warmer days early, in March so they started to open too early .   The snow afterwards and the blast of cold and frost made them think summer was over as they do turn all green in early fall.   Fertilized and hoping maybe the color comes back .   Sad as I enjoy the color they bring through the summer .   We do have other flamingo Willows a different variety and they are looking beautiful !   Hit and  with Mother Nature this year .