Esteemed Contributor

Do established perrienials need covered if it dips below freezing one night?

I have Iris...day lily...roses...lilac...butterfly bush....

We have some wet snow also in the forcast that could make the covering heavy over the plants...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do established perrienials need covered if it dips below freezing one night?

[ Edited ]

No, they are pretty hardy periennials even as far north as MN. I don't cover any of those listed when it hits 32 degrees in Nebraska (Zone 5-b) and they are fine.

The only periennial I will cover when temperatures are going to reach 32, is my Bleeding Heart . . . the buds will freeze. I've already trimmed them off once this year and it has resumed growth and is blooming like nothing happened! I'm happy now, but certainly learned the hard way this year. 

The heavy snow will melt quickly. Your plants may be tipsy, but they will spring back up when they are ready.

Best wishes and enjoy the miracles of Mother Nature at work. 

ETA: I'm not positive about the roses. Hope someone else is able to answer you. Think they should also survive a dip in temperatures. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: Do established perrienials need covered if it dips below freezing one night?

Are the iris flower blooming? The flower won't last in the snow. 

I lost all my daffodil flowers last year because of cold. Every bud froze. I had been covering the plants at night and one night I forgot.

As Birkilady said the plants will be just fine. 

Honored Contributor

The plants should be fine. Mother Nature is taking us right up to that last frost date this year. It's been a cold, wet spring around here. Tonight and tomorrow night are to be in the mid-thirties again.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Ahhh... I remember when I used to spend hours covering each of my zillions of hostas whenever the temperature dipped or spring snows fell.  One day I said, "To heck with it" and did not cover them.  Like most perennials, they looked a little bit puny for a short time, but bounced back eventually.    Yours should be fine too.   

We're supposed to have frost tonight and tomorrow morning.  Spring on the Great Plains.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I'm in Eastern Pa. and we're to get very cold tonight and possible wet snow. My lilac already got ruined by previous cold snap. It had more buds on it than I had ever seen and only a couple of them bloomed. My bleeding heart has been bloomed for a couple weeks and hosta's are up. Done with covering anything. What will be, will be.

Trusted Contributor

I have a large amount of marigolds and flowering vinca and wondered if I need to cover them? I live in Central Va. and our temperatures overnight are supposed to dip into the 30's.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also jumped the gun and planted...I knew better but it was a nice day and I just did it....I will cover my pots tonight.  I have clematis ready to bloom, I hope they don't get zapped.  They are hard to cover.

I'd love to have 3 days in a row of warm weather.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Lori Kaye wrote:

I have a large amount of marigolds and flowering vinca and wondered if I need to cover them? I live in Central Va. and our temperatures overnight are supposed to dip into the 30's.

Anunals ,should be covered.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

With the dropping temps, I might bring in pepper plants if not planted in the ground yet, or dig them out of the ground & put into a pot temporarily. 

I debated covering the lettuce I planted, but I'm going to chance it since they are cool season veggies.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼