Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Place Fresh Cut Flowers in Your Home? If so, how........

Yes! Try to grown flowers in your own yard (or patio pots) that you can display throughout your house. I go for colors that compliment my interior palette (tiger lilies, peonies, hydrangeas, jonquils).

I have vases of flowers all over the house including bathrooms. Not huge bouquets, sometimes just a sprig of lily of the valley on the sink vanity. Very pretty.

Doesn't always have to be long stemmed flowers in big crystal vases. Could be a begonia or geranium bud in a shot glass on the window sill. Something pretty to look at while at the kitchen sink!

I buy flowers at the grocery store during the cold months although there's always something I can snip from my yard, too. I always break up the bunch of flowers into several smaller 'gatherings' and display throughout the house.

Contributor

I have several very nice vases that I don't use often & was recently thinking about buying an inexpensive bouquet from our local grocery store. Maybe I'll do that sometime in April when the snow in our yard has melted & it seems more like Spring.

Honored Contributor

I will often pick up a bunch or two, then go for weeks without. The length they last pretty much depends on the type of flowers I select. Most are good for about a week, others will go for two weeks. Alstroemerias are lovely and last quite a while.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I always have fresh flowers in the house (it is good for my soul). I grow hydrangeas, peonies, lilacs, lilies and Shasta daises so I pick those when available. Otherwise I buy flowers (usually at Costco or sometimes at a florist). I like to use unusual vessels to hold the flowers at times (instead of vases). I do have two sizes of lime green vases that make all flower look amazing. I always have a large arrangement of fresh flowers in the living room and in the spring and summer another arrangement on the dining room table.

Respected Contributor

At this typing, there is a vase of flowers on a table in the foyer, the counter in the guest bath, a table in the hallway, and on the counter in the master bathroom.

My 'pop of color' throughout the house is red, so I favor Alstromeria Nadya. Alstromeria is known for being a fabulous cut flower and can last up to three weeks.

ETA: I forgot to mention they are also very inexpensive flowers. For all the color they give, they are a good value.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

When I worked years ago I would buy me a bunch of carnations every week. Just love them.

Now that I have tons of roses I cut them every week to bring inside and give some to the neighbors during the summer.

Super Contributor

Never... I hate to watch them die.

Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2014 HollywoodLady said: No I don't have any fresh cut flowers but that's something I need to start doing for ME! I love fresh cut flowers and they are fairly inexpensive at my local grocery store.

I so agree with you. To wait until gifted isn't necessary if you like it, you deserve to treat yourself.

I try to bring my mom flowers several times a year for no reason or holiday. I know it is a nice surprise and brightens her day, which brightens mine.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/29/2014 stevieb said:

I will often pick up a bunch or two, then go for weeks without. The length they last pretty much depends on the type of flowers I select. Most are good for about a week, others will go for two weeks. Alstroemerias are lovely and last quite a while.

And they're inexpensive and in a wide range of colors. They're the ones I look for to bring home.

I have some plants in my garden, but my stems don't get nearly as tall as those I get from the store. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

In winter I buy a bouquet from the grocery store or flower stand every week, a habit I picked up from my Danish friend, who always did this because the days were so cold and short in DK in winter--they provide needed cheer. In summer, there is such a profusion of flowers in my garden--especially hydrangeas, irises and roses, that I can only keep it tidy by cutting them and making bouquets every week.

I have a very old French painted table which is counter height, which is used as a kitchen island. I put one bouquet on this table, and one on the dining room table. (Our kitchen's too small to eat in it.) Flowers will keep for a longer time if the stems are submerged in lukewarm water while cutting them. Add a packet of flower food to the water in the vase, and change the water every few days, (adding a bit more flower food.) Bouquets last at least a week--sometimes ten days or more! They are one of life's little pleasures to me!