Respected Contributor

Do You Order Plants From TV?

I don't know if getting plants from the shopping channels is the way to go.  I did order a set of 2 Cottage Farms Hibiscus today and petite oriental lily's 9pc.  I liked that the hibiscus is shorter and more compact...he said they were a new variety??  

I am now wondering if I could just find these 2 things at a local nursery??

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Order Plants From TV?

Never. I would get them locally so I could return them when they die. It’s much to hot here to have those beautiful gardens anyway. Plus you would have to be a sucker for punishment to have to do all that planting, weeding and watering in the summer in Arizona. The heat would surely kill the ones shown on TV.

Frequent Contributor

Do watch and read reponses of those who order planrs, flowers etc from QVC?  I would go to a nuesery to see what I am getting.  Better return, quicker and can see the actual pkants.

Contributor

I have always had luck with cottage farms.I placed several orders this year.and most of the plants are either dead or die soon after unpacking them.I have been puttting them in my greenhouse.until i can plant or until the weather breaks.Qvc has replaced one of my orders already.the lavender i got last week is not looking good at all.I will not be placing anymore plant for cottage farm.i will buy local.

Respected Contributor

Oh boy!  Well the ones are bulbs....can't imagine there would be a issue with a bulb???  

The hibiscus is grown locally here where I live so I am hoping that means it will work out good....that is the only reason I placed the order LOL!

I don't live in AZ like one of the posters here so no issues with the weather.

If the hibiscus doesn't grow that would be a disappointment but at least they will refund the money with a call no returns of a dead plant to deal with to Q.  

For 27.00 I think I will take this one chance and see how it goes....but NO more purchases of any other plants....it's too risky. 

Thanks for giving me your opinions and experiences!

Trusted Contributor

LOL,,,,NEVER. I kill everything I get.  I do not have a green thumb.

Respected Contributor

I just ordered some daylilies today from QVC. I have never ordered plants before.  But I know that I can't find the reblooming daylilies at my local nursery. So, we will see how it goes. 

Trusted Contributor

@tsavorite  I ordered the set of 2 Hibiscus also. I don't believe Philip for one second when he said we'll see flowers this year like the ones he showed, but I know I could never find these type of hibiscus locally, so I went ahead and ordered. Hopefully they grow for me.  Good luck with yours.

It's been many years since I've ordered any plants, but this year I caved. Everything I purchased is sold out.  Got the set of 2 Llittle Miss Dynamite patio roses, One is blooming, the other doesn't have any bulbs yet, but green and healthy looking.

Got the 3 piece rainbow drarf hummingbird mint collection. They started growing as soon as I planted them. Two are in bloom, the 3rd one is slower to take off, but still healthy. I saw today it's starting to get buds.  And I got the 35 piece hardy hummingbird bulb collection.  Not in bloom yet, but have broken thru the ground and growing every day.  Looking forward to the flowers.

Respected Contributor

@momoftwo2007  Me too.  I placed my first order for plants on-line today.  I ordered the  daylilies today @ 6 for $20.  I costs about $7 for a one gallon of daylilies at the local store, so I figured I would give them a try.  I've had good luck with other daylilies, and the ones I got today end up less then $4/each.

I'm sure they won't be a large as the ones shown on TV, but since they come back year after year, with hardly any work at all, I'm going to give it a try. 

I'll be sure to review, good or bad.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I have.   Have had some wins and some losses. I did ask and got compensation for the losses.  The others are doing   very well.