Honored Contributor

does anyone have one?  If you don't know the term it is for homeowners that had an inground garden pond but want to no longer deal with fish, chemicals, cleaning the pond, etc.

The pond is filled with field tile and topped off with pea gravel.  There is a 'bubbler' that is hooked up to the existing pump and the water recirclates thru the bubbler, down into the existing pond.  You have to also add cement brick for the bubbler to sit on and possibly rebar across the open area so that the filled in opening is stable to walk on.....this is a very simple way of explaining it. 

There is a nursery about an hour from me that can do this job, but I have asked for a quote, twice, and they never get back with me!! 

If someone has repourposed their pond, i'd appreciate knowing I have some questions about the process, thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Around here it's called a disappearing fountain. The main cost will be the vessel you use, since the decorative pots/statuary can be pricey.

Google "disappearing fountain" and you'll get lots of good information.

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs.....interesting how things are named differently across the country....I did a google search....yes this is similar info that I have read, but I have specific questions, that I cannot seem to find the answer to.....

Trusted Contributor

There is a place in St. Louis that specializes in all things pond and such --- PondMarket. You might Google them and contact their staff. They are helpful no matter where you live.

Honored Contributor

The big issue you have with such water features is evaporation. It's many times faster than a traditional pond as there's so much surface area for the water to be spread out on with all of the stones/pea gravel. You'll find yourself having to top off such a water feature on a very routine basis or the pump will burn out. Water will wrap around every stone or piece of gravel and all of that exposed water is then subject to evaporation 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

there is a website called "The Pond Guy", which has many articles on pondless waterfalls and fountains, I have purchased many products from them and find their articles very informative.