Esteemed Contributor

Dipledenia/Mandeville

[ Edited ]

Hats off to Dipledenia! I just discovered this wonderful plant a couple of years ago, and make sure they are now part of my summer patio landscape! What a workhorse of a showy plant. They are so hardy and produce such beautiful blooms all summer long! in my area, these plants are very moderately priced. Anyone else love this plant as well? This is a stock photo - mine aren't this large yet.

Dipledenia.jpg

Respected Contributor

I have them in hanging baskets and in pots. They bloom all summer and you really can't kill them. And they tolerate full sun. 

Honored Contributor

My sister buys a mandevilla every year.  They're always beautiful, and the hummingbirds love them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I have had them for many years. They winter in my garage. They have a white sap that can be difficult to wash off and can irritate the skin. I use gloves when dealing with them.

Esteemed Contributor

@KLm, I wondered about wintering them, but I thought our garage might be too cold since it isn't heated. I may look into that.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dipledenia/Mandeville

[ Edited ]

These are my favorite flowers.  I have them in pots and over winter them every year, but buy two new ones and keep adding to my collection. This year I have them in whiskey barrels and they are huge already.

I am posting a pic from two years ago on the deck at our lake place.  These are the diapledenia variety.  I have pics from this year, but for some reason, I can't post them.

0A8EF24C-42ED-4031-A86B-DF9C601DBA0F.jpeg

Valued Contributor

Re: Dipledenia/Mandeville

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1  They are tropical so freezing kills them. If your garage temp is higher than that they should be ok. I live in Charlotte, so though it freezes the garage is warm enough without heat. All my sensitive plants are on carts, so on warm winter days we roll them out to get sun.  This gives them a good head start for spring.

I do trim them back before winter. I also do my hybiscus the same way. 

Thank all of you for the beautiful pictures

Valued Contributor

@50Mickey I actually lost a mandevilla I had for several years to some kind of white fly infestation. No matter what I did I couldn't save it.

Honored Contributor

Love this plant, we have one or two every growing season, this year's is a softer pink.

Honored Contributor

I have a red one I bought last year and it barely flowered at all, but I carried it over the winter and when my plant lights came on to start the seedlings in February it responded by bursting out in bloom and looked great. It's now outside and not flowering again. It's growing very well though. I first grew a Mandevilla (Alice DuPont) maybe twenty years ago. I've had a Mandevilla or Dipladenia most years since then. They typically do very well for me, but the one I bought last year is a reluctant flowerer. At least when outside. It flowered great inside near the plant lights most of the late winter/early spring. It seems to prefer artificial light to the real thing. Go figure! I've never had a plant do that before, so I'm not sure how to react, but I'll see what happens the rest of the summer.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!