I purchased Gerbera daisies and they have not done well. One died other 5 have done nothing. Have gotten one flower on 5 plants. My other garden purchases have done well. I'm disappointed with Roberta right now.

Honored Contributor

@ChumpUmp    I think Gerbera Daisies are the world's hardest plant to grow.  After many failures, I don't even try anymore.  The last one I bought came from a nursery.  Brought it home, put it on my covered patio in the shade.  Gave it some water as it was dry and 2 hours later when I looked at it, it was all drooped over and never revived.

If someone has a secret to growing them, I'd like to know too.  They're so pretty.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Count me in on the secret too. They are so beautiful, but they don't produce for me either. Actually, I thought they are a "sun" loving plant??

Honored Contributor

Re: Daisies suck

[ Edited ]

I've never had good luck with Gerberas either - not Roberta's, just in general.  I gave up on them years ago.  I would put them in clay pots, and they would always end up with powdery mildew.  Maybe they didn't get enough sun; they were in a part sun situation.  On the other hand, my mother always has good luck with them, she plants them in her gardens.

Honored Contributor

I think they are sun loving. I once planted them in a lamppost planter & they did well; BUT they are considered annuals by us in hardiness zone 7. Expensive annuals...... 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Agreed!

I bought the perennial daisies from Roberta's this year and they are horrible. Unfortunately they did not label the colors on my particular order, so I had no idea which plant was what color (I had a plan for the colors).   I planted one in the ground and it literally shriveled up and died into the ground within 2 days.  What a waste!

I put the other 2 in pots on my retaining wall.  They are in full sun, well watered, and get a bit of Miracle Grow every once in a while.  Although I do get flowers, they are minimal and wimpy.  Certainly not what presented on air.  I will bring the pots toward the house over the winter, but I am NOT hopeful they will come back next year.  I'm calling it a loss at this point.

Valued Contributor

i bought 2 Gerbera Daisy plants from my local nursery in May - I put 1 in a pot on my porch - it is doing well now after a slow start - have had 3 blooms so far. The other plant is in the ground and the flowers die before they bloom - the green leaves are thriving. I don't know why I bought them they have never done well for me in the past.

Respected Contributor

I grew daisies from seeds...plenty of daily care, then finally repotted in several large pots, as I had high hopes. They took off great, then I only got 1 or 2 blooms, and a bunch of brown leaves.  I finally dumped all of them..not good.

Honored Contributor

I dug up a bunch of wild daisies from the vacant lot across the street., left them in a bucket of water than planted them under a side window---Seems like they took ok but now they are brown and faded but there are seeds in the flower heads---so maybe next year I'll have daisies. From where I got them , they got water when it rained, were in dry dirt embedded in gravel too. Will see next year, I guess.

Honored Contributor

@ChumpUmp wrote:

I purchased Gerbera daisies and they have not done well. One died other 5 have done nothing. Have gotten one flower on 5 plants. My other garden purchases have done well. I'm disappointed with Roberta right now.

@ChumpUmp   I have bought faux Gerberas in all colors and lengths, look real, and do not die. Smiley Happy