Honored Contributor

I was just outside deadheading and noticed the dogwood in the sideyard reblooming.  This is the third year this has happened.  The first year painters cut back a bunch of branches to make it easier to paint house (I thought they had killed it!).  Last summer was very hot and it rebloomed again.  It blooms bright pink in the spring and the rebloom is white.  Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?  This is tree was planted over 10 years ago.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne  So I assume it blooms in the spring as it should?

The only thing I can think of is stress of some sort.  Have you googled this by chance?  Any GOOD local nurseries in your are that you can check with?  How about a Dept of Ag or Forestry near by? Any colleges/univs around with an Ag dept?

If my DH were here right now I'd ask him as he knows trees,landscaping etc.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD

Stress is what I thought the first time it rebloomed following the painters "trimming"  it but this is the third year.  I love this tree and would hate to see anything happen to it.    

Honored Contributor

Re: DOGWOOD REBLOOMING?

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD

Stress is what I thought the first time it rebloomed following the painters "trimming"  it but this is the third year.  I love this tree and would hate to see anything happen to it.    

It's possible that weather conditions were right for it to set blooms send open a few. Maybe some cooling weather occurred?

A tree that was stressed you would see leaves dropping and fall coloring occurring sooner than when it normally changes color.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

My pink dogwood sometimes has a few blossoms in the fall; they're pink.  My white dogwood has never done this.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom

It has got the red berries all over that it usually gets in the fall and added to that are white flowers (it blooms dark pink in spring).  I has been warmer than usual up here the last few years.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne  I told my DH about your tree blooming now.  He asked to see a picture.  Can you post one please?

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD

Tell you DH thanks but I probably have the only cell phone left that does not take pictures!