Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO RABBITS EAT DAY LILIES?

A couple years ago my area had an inflation of rabbit population.  Sometimes it looked like Old Country Buffet around the hostas and daylilies with the number of bunnies dining.  I discovered the product Deer-B-Gone was effective, and a friend suggested sprinkling cayenne pepper on the leaves and blooms.  I opted to use a combination of both and last year business was down at my garden buffet.  I plan to start sprinking and spraying next week as things are starting to sprout again.  The hope is to send the critters in search of another feeding ground before they get in the habit of stopping in my garden.

I have heard that coyotes will keep deer and rabbits away from your garden, but who wants them around.  There are products on the market which claim to be made from coyote urine, but they are expensive.  I have a large garden, so I'll stick with the pepper and Deer-B-Gone. 

Honored Contributor

@Trix

Do you know if Deer-B-Gone is safe for dogs?  I live where it rains often and most things say reapply after rain.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Trix

Do you know if Deer-B-Gone is safe for dogs?  I live where it rains often and most things say reapply after rain.  Thanks.

I don't know but I would contact the company's C/S department to ask that question.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

I have never had anything eat day lily, but Im in the country so the rabbits and deer have many choices.

Did you know a wild rabbit won't eat a carrot, but domestic rabbits do?

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

I have never had anything eat day lily, but Im in the country so the rabbits and deer have many choices.

The rabbits in my yard have never bothered the day lillies.

And I found out that wild rabbits do not eat carrots. I feed the rabbits in my yard - or thought I was feeding the rabbits in my yard, carrots. When the carrots were still there 2 days later I figured it out. And stopped "feeding" them carrots.

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

I have seen cottontails eat the baby carrots I've tossed to them. They must be nearsighted because I have had to throw it near them for them to 'see' it.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Contributor

I call my daylillies "deer food" as the deer here love to eat them. I spent last Wednesday wrestling large clumps of daylillies out of the ground so I can replace them with something the deer won't eat. I grow some on my second-story deck so they can't climb up and eat them. That's the oly way I get to enjoy my daylillies. After years of spraying repellent, the solution for me has been to plant what they won't eat. It works pretty well. The deer here don't like to eat coneflowers, Russian sage, lavendar, rosemary, agastache, iris, peonies, daffs & Narcissus, yarrow, artemesia, allium, Montauk daisies, mums, coreopsis. Good luck with your four-legged friends.

Contributor

Forgot to mention that rabbits don't bother that list of deer -resistant plants mentioned in my prvious post.

Esteemed Contributor

JustJazzmom wrote:

DiAnne wrote:

@Trixx

I don't know but I would contact the company's C/S department to ask that question.

It's not toxic, so it should not harm dogs.  It does have an odor which they don't seem to care for.  I've noticed Deer-B-Gone can be helpful in encouraging dogs to move to another spot to do their potty business.  That said, please check with the company, or show a list of the ingredient deck to your veterinarian, to be completely sure before spraying it in your yard.  

Honored Contributor

Everyone immediately thinks rabbits and deer are their culprits, but you also need to add groundhogs to the list.  When a groundhog finds something leafy and green to eat, he will be there every day, and will even move his home to be closer to that food source.