Honored Contributor

Re: DO RABBITS EAT DAY LILIES?

@JustJazzmom

Thanks. None of the other daylilies in my yard are "chewed" except these two.  They have been eaten off just above ground level.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@JustJazzmom

Thanks. None of the other daylilies in my yard are "chewed" except these two.  They have been eaten off just above ground level.  

Do you have deer by you? It's possible those are the culprits.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Chances are it were chipmunks or maybe even a stray cat.

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne I'll put my money on the bunnies. We had one that showed up out of nowhere and ate all of my tulips that had bloomed early.  The rabbits eat a little neater than, say, earwigs (yuck); they just leave a matted chewed up mess, where the bunnies go right down to about 1-2 " above the ground. I love all critters, large and small, but I was not happy to notice my tulips gone. I now have some late bloomers coming up and haven't seen the bunny for a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping he or she stays wherever it is and lets my tulips bloom. I just love them so !!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Dear eat mine. 

Trusted Contributor

I actually witnessed the rabit eating the daylily leaves.  Looked rather like a cartoon, with the top portion of the plant wiggling as he or she was nibbling the lower leaves.  All the daylilies at that point looked like mini palm trees.  Got some repellant that didn't smell that bad - an improvement in that area anyway.

Contributor

I have rabbits and deer.  My deer ate the tulips last year before they bloomed.  (i know because of the deer tracks)  

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne, definitely could be the rabbits.  The little devils ate all the leaves on my allium last year.  It was funny because the flower on allium comes after the leaves. They ate the leaves but the flowers survived.  They were also munching on my host as.

Usually not an issue here because of the coyote population.  I saw one the other day across the street eating the limb off a tree.  It went across the street to my neighbor's house and I saw tracks in our yard this weekend.  Checking out the spring salad.  He will have to dig for it for awhile.  We still have a couple of feet of snow!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@DiAnne, definitely could be the rabbits.  The little devils ate all the leaves on my allium last year.  It was funny because the flower on allium comes after the leaves. They ate the leaves but the flowers survived.  They were also munching on my host as.

Usually not an issue here because of the coyote population.  I saw one the other day across the street eating the limb off a tree.  It went across the street to my neighbor's house and I saw tracks in our yard this weekend.  Checking out the spring salad.  He will have to dig for it for awhile.  We still have a couple of feet of snow!  LM

I saw last summer that baby bunny stand on its hind legs to nibble on a hosta. So far, no wabbits seen. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I have a couple white day lilies that are only a year old and they look chewed down.  I do not have deer.   The last few years I have started having a rabbit problem but they don't seem to bothering the other day lilies in the backyard and it does not look like slug damage (we have plenty of those also).  

@DiAnne  "Daylilies are not only edible, they are spectacular. After sampling the flowers, flower buds, young stalks and root tubers, I've come to the conclusion that they're so tasty I may grow them as a food crop."