Honored Contributor

Re: Cutting back Nikko Blue Hydrangeas

@Lilysmom wrote:

Mine are still in bloom.  I just cut back one of them by one third.  I didn't cut the current blooms.  Did I cut off next year's flowers?  I can never remember which blooms on old and new wood.  I think I would have cut it back anyway.  TIA.  LM

I never cut back my Hydrangeas as most of them don't require it, I only cut off the dead blooms.  The Hydrangeas that do require cutting back usually die back on their own and then grow new wood in the Spring.  

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, I usually do the same as you and only trim dead canes in the spring.  This one, however, is huge now.  Even though there was a lot of space where it was, it got enormous.  It is very healthy.  I can live a season without great blooms.  We'll see how it turns out.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Zita, can you chat with the place where you purchased it?  They will probably know the care and whether it can be planted in the ground in your zone.  It's hard to know what to do without the name.  There are so many types now.  Can you post a photo?  There are a lot of experienced gardeners here who could give you some advice.  Good luck!  LM