Super Contributor

Re: Curious about your luck with tomato plants this year

Had a bad year all around, tomatoe plants too.  Planted a beefsteak in a large pot.  Got a lot of greens, and a grand total of 3 tomatoes.   eastern VA.

Honored Contributor

Southern WV, and my husband had 6 beautiful plants that were loaded.  

The cherry tomatoes were abundant.   We enjoyed several dozen slicing size tomatoes, before blight hit and killed all of them.  Everyone in this area lost their plants at the same time we lost ours.  

@bonnielu 

If you are growing tomatoes in containers, do not let them just grow to heights like 3-4 feet tall.  Keep the suckers pinched off and the plant at a reasonable height, so all of the growth will go towards blooms and fruit.   

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu  I live in Western New York and our soil is mostly clay, but we have a bumper crop of Roma tomatoes this year.  Our Beefsteak and Cherry tomatoes were pitiful.

Respected Contributor

Curious about your luck with tomato plants this year

Decent year for new container garden that DH purchased.  Cherry  tomatoes and Celebrity did well.  I discouraged against growing Better Boy and Bigger Boy but got out voted.  These two varieties got very big but very split in the process.  Lesson learned. We will space out more next year.  Got a few nice peppers but not abundant.  Cucumber plant at community garden did decent amount if production.  Bees abundant on plant.  I learned they like lots of water - several 2 gallon buckets when hot seemed to keep leaves happy.  

Esteemed Contributor

Our tomatoes didn't do well this year. We tried planting them in large livestock feed buckets, which means you need to water them a lot. Not sure if they didn't get enough water or what, but they just didn't do good at all. 

Honored Contributor

@LillyBee2 wrote:

Mine did not do well this year.    I had 3 plants, 2 cherry tomatoes and a yellow pear, and they never  startedcoming on until early August.  I live in the  PNW, and July was not that great for tomatoes.  They did not produce alot of tomatoes, and mostly just didn't have time because they we so late getting fruit.  I've had better years for sure.

@LillyBee2     we live in the Seattle Area.... We had two plants... the tomatoes were all small... and many stayed green. Not a good year for us either.