Esteemed Contributor

Crimson Queen Red Maple...thoughts please

We moved our Crimson Queen red maple when it was dormant.  It is leafed out now.  The leaves are looking a little strange I think.  It could just be me.  I will post some photos below.  I have a Japanese Bloodgood Red Maple to compare it too.  The leaves of the Crimson Queen are lacier and thinner than the Bloodgood.  Maybe it is just my imagination or maybe the Crimson Queen is later to open.  I am thinking the leaves on the CQ don't look so good.

The hole was dug before we moved it to it's new home.  We added compost and good earth.  We have been watering regularly and we have had rain also.

The first three images are CQ.  The last one is Bloodgood.  It is almost like the CQ has a whitish cast to it.  The Bloodgood is much deeper burgundy.

Any input appreciated.  LM

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

Respected Contributor

Re: Crimson Queen Red Maple...thoughts please

It looks like it may be getting to much water. We planted a new Autumn Blaze Maple last year and watered it a couple of times during this Winter. It was slow to leaf out but is looking good now. Our tree guy told us to make sure it got water but not to over water it either. I would just back off from watering it for a few days and especially since you are getting rain also.

Honored Contributor

I agree, back off the H2O for some days and keep checking on it.  To me the leaves appear to be wanting to unfurl for you.  Hopefully it'll be just fine after making it's adjustment.  Then I'd fert it.

Nice species both of them.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD@Kitlynn, thank you.  I will back off.  It is raining here for a few days so I wouldn't be watering it anyway but after that I will slack off.  Hope it is ok.  I love this tree!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  I'm going to share your post and photos with my husband and get his much more professional opinion to help you out with this too.  I'll report back in a day or so.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@Lilysmom  I'm going to share your post and photos with my husband and get his much more professional opinion to help you out with this too.  I'll report back in a day or so.

@PINKdogWOOD, yes, please do.  I would appreciate his thoughts.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is the latest the latest shot of my Crimson Queen.  Inhaven't water d it.  It has opened more and is looking better but I still think their is a greyish shadow to the leaves.

@JustJazzmom, any thoughts?  See comments in earlier posts.  LM

IMG_0529.JPGIMG_0530.JPG

Honored Contributor

No idea @Lilysmom. It looks good to me, maybe the rain gave it some powdery mildew (grayish cast)? I can't see that gray in the photos.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, thanks for your comments.  Maybe it's just me.  I keep comparing it to the colour of the Bloodgood and it is not as deep.  It is also now an understory tree so that might make a difference as well.  It is looking better.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, thanks for your comments.  Maybe it's just me.  I keep comparing it to the colour of the Bloodgood and it is not as deep.  It is also now an understory tree so that might make a difference as well.  It is looking better.  We have had a very wet Spring.  LM