Trusted Contributor

I mark on my calendar as a reminder - "crab apples.... September through Mid October", meaning we have crab apples falling for about 1 more month.

My husband does not want them falling on the lawn as he's read that when they get smashed  (when you walk on them or from the lawn mower wheels) they can leave an acid that is not good for the lawn.  He takes a lot of pride in the lawn and in addition to being very faithful with cuttings, he waters the lawn, he cores the lawn, he dethatches it, fertilizes, etc.

He does not have the best of knees, but still wants to pick up those apples so I help him.  I counted how many apples it takes to fill the small bucket I use and it holds about 300.  So using that to calculate, we're picking up on some days about 1,500 crab apples a day.

Just curious, is there anyone else also picking up these apples???

Esteemed Contributor

sounds like a lot of work.....have you considered cutting down the tree.....jmo....

Honored Contributor

I don't have them but commend your husband for being so conscientous about the lawn.  I don't imagine they're the best thing for the lawn mower, so I would be picking them up too.

I'd rake them up as much as possible to minimize wear-and-tear on joints.

Trusted Contributor

@nana59 , cutting down the tree is under consideration.  The only thing that has kept us from doing so it that it's the only tree that we have in the front of the house and it does provide nice shade in the summer.

If we want to plant a new tree, from what we read, you can't plant a new tree in the exact spot - it needs to be at least 6 - 10 feet from where the old tree was - due to root issues,etc.   The crab apple tree is planted in the perfect spot, so a new tree would be planted where it would not look quite as nice.

So.....we'll see.  Hubby is out there right now.  It's been 3 hours since our last picking, and it looks like he's finding a lot more apples.    Better go for now and help him!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

The only idea I can think of - can you put tarps down under tree and then drag tarp and apples off to disposal site?

Would save bending over those body parts so much.  We do that with falling leaves in Fall.  Rake leaves on tarp and drag them away.

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop You sent me on a search. I have heard of Crab Apple trees, but couldn't remember ever seeing one. At least close enough to question what it was.

Seems there are two that are native in TX, but maybe they're not that popular for the very reason your sharing.

I was impressed with the beautiful blossoms leading to those mini apples. It describes them as 'fragrant,' as well. Maybe some aren't?  But, it sounds like the beauty turns into the beast. 

Maybe you could solicit for some neighborhood kids to help pick them up for a reasonable fee. I'd get some help. Save both of your backs and knees. It would be worth it. Then you can just enjoy the tree when it's less problematic. 

Trusted Contributor

Gosh....some great ideas - thank you!!

As for the garden weasel, my hubby did buy one a few years ago, but NEVER has used it.  I'm going to take that thing off the garage wall and give it a try for myself.  Thanks for reminding me about it!

As for getting some help, my hubby did "hire" the 2 children next door and did pay them for their assistance.  He said the little girl did a good job, but the little boy got bored very fast.   Ever since that day, he's hardly ever seen them outside to ask them again for help.    Could they possibly not like the job and are now hiding from him???  I would not blame them - they're smart!!!   Ha! Ha!

Respected Contributor

Lol, @BunSnoop.  Kids are a lot smarter than when I was young. We'd work all day for a couple dollars and a cookie. 

Honored Contributor

If you do remove the tree, make sure the entire or close to the rootball is ground out. 

IMO, you could plant another tree. Perhaps an ornamental cherry tree. Just make sure no grass is placed by the trunk. Leave at least 2' of space all around before putting back lawn.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

You have bigger problems if some squished crab apples cause your husband to panic about his lawn. So what if a little acid seeps into the grass? In all likelihood, it wouldn't make a noticeable difference.