Frequent Contributor

So glad I ordered these, they bloom continuously.  They need at least 5 hours of sun, which I have in the northeast facing front yard. Also, they are ok in 90 plus temps which we are having in the New York metro area.  I’ll definitely get them next year. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms sunpatients

They are special plants, however, to get C Farms - they come as smaller plants so to get them big and beautiful (like you have now) it takes until August. That's near the end of summer for us in the Northeast.  And - they are annuals, no return the following year.  Enjoy them - they are great plants.

Frequent Contributor

We planted sunpatiens in our planters for the first time this year.  I absolutely love them and are so pleased with how they look.  We bought ours from a big box store - either Lowes or Home Depot and planted them in May. 

In the past we have tried impatiens and loved how they looked, but they just could not stand up to the 95 - 100 degree heat we have here in the midwest plus our planters are in direct sun for the afternoon when it is the hottest.  

I had never heard of sunpatiens until I was reading about them this past winter.  I was trying to find something that had good color, bloomed all summer long and could stand heat and sun.  Sunpatiens are just perfect.  Ours have gotten quite tall in the planters and are always full of beautiful colorful flowers.  We will definitely plant them year after year now that we have discovered them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Esmollin

@Esmollin wrote:

So glad I ordered these, they bloom continuously.  They need at least 5 hours of sun, which I have in the northeast facing front yard. Also, they are ok in 90 plus temps which we are having in the New York metro area.  I’ll definitely get them next year. 

Happy for yours, not mine.  Here in cal. we get lot of sun and two died in spite of sun or even part shade.  I cancelled my auto delivery.  I have a beautiful garden of flowers, 36 rose trees and bushes.  Everything gets good care, but just a few of these have blossomed and not like they said.  So, I,m glad for those that enjoy them.

Honored Contributor

@rolen Impatiens are shade loving annuals, but their cousins — New Guinea impatiens are more sun tolerant. Sunpatiens are a hybrid cross between these 2 types of impatiens— more sun tolerant like its New Gunea parent but resembles its other parent (in the flower).

Another suggestion is another great annual which I have used in full sun — they mound like impatiens & resemble its flower — flowering vinca — or Madagascar periwinkle. Plenty of color choices too. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@rolen Impatiens are shade loving annuals, but their cousins — New Guinea impatiens are more sun tolerant. Sunpatiens are a hybrid cross between these 2 types of impatiens— more sun tolerant like its New Gunea parent but resembles its other parent (in the flower).

Another suggestion is another great annual which I have used in full sun — they mound like impatiens & resemble its flower — flowering vinca — or Madagascar periwinkle. Plenty of color choices too. 

Another vote for flowering Vinca.....I plant that every year since the year all my Impatiens got that rot disease.....