Contributor

Cottage Farms - going downhill ?

I have always been a fan of Cottage Farms and order plants through Q every year.  This year I am not so happy. 

I ordered Bee Balm, and I totally am with all of the reviewers.  Most of them rec'd the set of 2 plants and one of them is all black and almost dead.  Why did everyone have one bad one ?  AND, the ship date said May 23rd and I rec'd. it on May 8.  In the midwest that 2 weeks can make a difference, and I have nowhere to put stuff yet.  I see my other plants are also being processed and it's too early !
I will get my $$  back for the bad plant, I'm sure.  It's just I have to wonder if I want to do this via UPS anymore.   It's a shame.....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms - going downhill ?

Plants from Q is always a gamble - if you are willing to pay a little extra for big - quality plants............try an order from PROVEN WINNERS.  Even their shipping containers are impressive.  You get what you pay for.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ordered a set of 3 bumbleberry blue salvia plants from CF and they arrived a good month before planting time here in North New Jersey and 2 of the 3 were full of black leaves and looked totally dead.  They had a lot of water so they were not dried up.  Very dissapointed!  Didn't plant the one survivor yet; May 15 is finally safe to plant here.

I called and got a refund.  Everything I ordered from Roberta's has arrived looking good.

Esteemed Contributor

For some reason I never had luck with plants by mail. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Considering what I received from CF this season, I will no longer be purchasing anything from them.  I received Coreopsis sent via UPS, transferred to USPS, sat at USPS PO for weekend and not delivered till Tuesday; items extremely wet, slimy and rotted.  The next was Lavender received dry and mostly dead.  Then there was the Echinacea, it looked terrible, 3 weeks later there has been no growth and they look weak and unhealthy. I received refunds for Coreopsis and Lavender, will probably ask for refund for Echinacea since it is not progressing.  Roberta's plantings were all good, healthy and shipped early week so not left undelivered before weekend. Mind you, the shipping protocol is the reason why items are in transit for a too long time; UPS, transfer to USPS for delivery.  I have ordered plants through mail for years and this year had trouble with an excellent and reliable company I ordered annual plants from for years--I had to get a refund due to condition of plantings received.  All living plants should have the same ship protocol as food on dry ice--no more than 2 days.

Super Contributor

I TRIED not to order any plants from QVC this year and had vowed to shop local, but I got sucked in during presentations - I like the convenience, but unfortunately, EVERY single plant that I received was well below parr and I sought refunds on each and every order. I'm heading out to visit a number of my local growers this weekend! Come on QVC - there have GOT to be better plant suppliers out there!

Honored Contributor

Most plant companies will ship via UPS without transfer to USPS. I always call the company & ask; I even put on the order or ask them to ship when I want it shipped. Most companies will comply with your request, because they don’t want to have replace a plant that might not survive if planted too early.

Depending on when some companies ship, a plant could spend 5 days to a week inside a box. 

Generally when I get a mail order plant, I’ll open it & inspect it. I will keep it open to air in the pot it has shipped in, in the shade of my patio. I wait a day or two, then transplant to where it’s new home will be.

Some companies send their perennials in biodegradable pots like coir. I found for my soil, the coir didn’t biodegrade. I had to remove it & plant it like a non containerized plant. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Occasional Visitor

I also am disappointed this year with a gift from Cottage farms of the Ammaryllis in wax.  I just received it and was going to gift it to my aunt but the largest stem was already broken off.  I did see 2 more stems but for $30 that seems steep and 2 much $ for just 2 stems.  Bought one last year at a big name store for under $10 and it was amazing.  Please QVC change your return policy on faulty merchadise.  I would send it back but it still will bloom but not as nice.

Respected Contributor

The quality fell off when Phillip left last year.  Just not the same and many of us are not buying anything from the line. The new representatives are just not Phillip