Respected Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms and promises

I had sent shasta daisies to a friend 2 years ago, but they didn't do well that year so I sent her another batch last year with the same result.  She replanted them and this year they are going crazy.  What I found out was that she treats outside plants the same way as her potted plants.  She didn't give them enough space.  Could this be the problem with the daisies?

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

I had sent shasta daisies to a friend 2 years ago, but they didn't do well that year so I sent her another batch last year with the same result.  She replanted them and this year they are going crazy.  What I found out was that she treats outside plants the same way as her potted plants.  She didn't give them enough space.  Could this be the problem with the daisies?

@CLEM  I have also learned that Shasta daisies wilt in the heat, so I have mine situated in morning sun, afternoon shade, some are in all day light shade, and all do great this way.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Struck out again    2018 decided to give CF one last chance.........yellow daylilies that will be happy anywhere - wet - clay soil - can't kill them according to Carolyn.  Same for white Daisy.  Not much happening after two months in a raised garden with Scott's soil - Scott's dry and wet fertilizer.  Plants sit there in full sun - watered every day by me or the rain......and they still can't muster up to expectations or promises.   

So long Phillip - it's been nice to know you!  ($33 plus $? = enough)

@fthunt  Shasta daisies do not like full sun, at least not here, even Philip said so, though he did say that some he was offering would not wilt in the heat, as most do, maybe these are what you bought?  I would plant in morning sun, afternoon shade and see how that works, mine do great this way.

Honored Contributor

I consider myself a pretty good gardener and I have never had much luck with the plants I got from the Q. If I don't plant from seed, I buy local plants and have pretty good results.