Honored Contributor

Cottage Farms 'Tuners

[ Edited ]

Re: M48984  purple with white splashes petunias

I received an email yesterday about the top 2016 flowers/plants to grow in our gardens - this petunia was featured.  However, the article indicated that that variety wouldn't be available until 2017.  Interesting that Cottage Farms has it already and is selling it.  Perhaps his farm was a test plot for it a few years ago and is ready this yr to release it.

It is very pretty.  I'll be watching for it in a LOCAL area where I live.

Honored Contributor

It was probably a trial garden or a deal was struck with the hybridizing company and Cottage Farms.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms 'Tuners

[ Edited ]

Hi!  You were looking at the "Night Sky" Petunias, too?  (M48984)  I thought they were beautiful.  They mentioned it was only available through Cottage Frams, but I googled and did find 1 other US company (a few other UK companies) have them available this year!  Hoping they will show up locally, too, as I don't have the best luck with live plants that are shipped=)

Honored Contributor

@prior1 Do you recall perhaps who was the other US company who has this petunia?  I don't think I saw that when I was reading about these.  I'd be interested to know who else has them.

Frequent Contributor

Hi PinkDogwood!  I just tried a quick Google search that day for "Night Sky Petunia" hoping they might be popping up.  I don't know if I am supposed to post links here, but the first company with them listed as available that came up in the search was Burpee.  Again, I don't have the best luck with ordering live plants that ship, so hope they keep showing up other places and eventually make it nearby=)   Been reading a lot about them...sounds like there may be some concerns about the stability of the speckling, so it will be fun/interesting to follow their progress and history.  Would love to see them in-person!

Iwould never purchase from this company.The plants I purchased were almost dead when I received them. When I contacted them regarding the condition of these plants they offered to send me new replacements. These were received in worse condition than my original order. I was also told that the ones shown on QVC were a special plant grown for the presentation on the show. The representative for Cottage Farms was rude and informed me there was nothing more they could do. Spent a lot of money for a lot of dead plants.

Honored Contributor

@lil lamb wrote:

Iwould never purchase from this company.The plants I purchased were almost dead when I received them. When I contacted them regarding the condition of these plants they offered to send me new replacements. These were received in worse condition than my original order. I was also told that the ones shown on QVC were a special plant grown for the presentation on the show. The representative for Cottage Farms was rude and informed me there was nothing more they could do. Spent a lot of money for a lot of dead plants.

@lil lamb  I would have called customer service and received a refund if the replacements were poor.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms 'Tuners

[ Edited ]

Cottage Farms has local garden centers as clients which they ship plants to, so it's possible this petunia will show up in your area.  Their clients are typically independent nurseries and garden centers-- not the big box stores.  

Lil lamb, I do hope that QVC stepped in and refunded your money after you failed to get satisfaction trying to deal with Cottage Farms directly.  I realize they prefer we deal with the vendor with regard to live plant purchases, but it was QVC who took your money, so ultimately they are involved to see that youa re satisfied.  

I would like to apologize for the problems you’ve experienced with the plants you received. Cottage Farms wants to make sure each of our customers is satisfied with their purchase. Please call us directly at 888-593-3644 and ask for Anita, so that we can better assist you. 

Respected Contributor

@Cottage Farms Expert wrote:

I would like to apologize for the problems you’ve experienced with the plants you received. Cottage Farms wants to make sure each of our customers is satisfied with their purchase. Please call us directly at 888-593-3644 and ask for Anita, so that we can better assist you. 

A number of years ago, I purchased something from Cottage Farms or was it the other company that QVC has where it resembles a mat and you plant these and flowers are supposed to pop up.

What a waste of money. I bought so many of them. Never got my money back. That's why I would never purchase any plants or plant like materials from QVC or any home shopping channel again. I'm in Southern California, too.