Respected Contributor

Cottage Farms Strawberry kit M68170

doing good so far!  i did bring it in last night as we had frost and it's still cold.

day 1

strawberries day1.jpg

week 1

strawberries week1.jpg

week 2

strawberries week2.jpg

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms Strawberry kit M68170

Looks great!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Is it hanging or on the ground?  In any case, be sure to protect it from birds and squirrels.  My experience is that they'd pick a berry off when it was only days away from being fully ripe.

Respected Contributor

week 4

strawberries week4.jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought this kit last summer and got about as far as you. The birds took everything that came up. I have mine hanging on a tall shepherds hook off the ground. 

I did not bring it in during the winter and low and behold its blooming again. I will have to figure out how to protect it this time. Maybe cover with some bird netting.

Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I bought this kit last summer and got about as far as you. The birds took everything that came up. I have mine hanging on a tall shepherds hook off the ground. 

I did not bring it in during the winter and low and behold its blooming again. I will have to figure out how to protect it this time. Maybe cover with some bird netting.

Good luck! 

I got bird netting and used it for about two years before giving up.  You have to somehow elevate it so it's not resting directly on the plant and you have to enclose it at the bottom so squirrels can't come up from below.  After all that, and the plant is finally secured, and you have a beautiful ripe berry, it's a real pain to undo the netting so you can access the berry!

Esteemed Contributor

I bought these this year and my plants look pretty good so far. The ground hog decided to take a tour thru the area and knocked my pot off of the stand! So I had to repot all of the plants and do some damage control on the pot, too.

I have a set of chicken wire cloches from Gardner's supply that I put over the entire pot to keep the birds and beasts from bothering them -- except of course for the large ground hog.

Respected Contributor

That looks interesting.

We used to have strawberry plants, used as a border for our rose bushes. 

There's nothing like fresh berries!

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

week 5

baby berries!

strawberries week5b.jpg

strawberries week5.jpg

Honored Contributor

I have over twenty clay pots with mostly Guerney's everbearing strawberry plants, for two years, but will have to divide some as the pots are getting crowded.  I bought these at zulily, did not state everbearing, so am happy they turned out to be.

I bought a set of Cottage Farms and a set of Roberta's two years ago, still bearing fruit.