Super Contributor

Cottage Farms Rose Tree question

Hello, I ordered the Cottage Farms Drift Peach Rose tree on gardening day.  It arrived last night.  I took it out of the carton a few minutes ago and was going to plant it in my pot.  I noticed the root looks like it is cut in half.  There are only roots going on one side and stright down. The side that appears "cut off"  also has a big gash going into the tree pole part about 3" long; like a big chuk is missing.  The rose bush at the top looks ok and is good a green.  My questions is, should I request a replacement due to the root ball having part missing and a gash in the tree?  I do not know much about gardening so I figured I would ask and see if anyone knows.  I hate to plant it and then have it die because I was going to plant other stuff in my pot around it.  They claim they dig these up before shipping and trim them so I think someone got carless with the shovel. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms Rose Tree question

@ugabugabooooo    It would be helpful if you could post a picture of the rootball.  It's kind of hard to visualize what you're describing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Call CS immediately.............or sooner.  You don't want a half dead tree.  Suggestion:  never plant - a plant - upon arrival.  Poor thing has been bounced around & cheated out of daylight for who knows how long.

Water it = yes   Talk to it = yes..........but let any plant adjust to new temperature & new home.

Super Contributor

root showing slilce.jpg

root 2.jpg

Here is a picture of the root.  Not sure how good the "chunk" missing shows up. 

root1.jpg

The top is green and has tiny sprouts. top.jpg

I am not a gardener. Haven't even tried in years. Not a green thumb but decided since I was stuck at home it was something to do!  I have no idea if this is ok or not.   Thanks for everyones advice!

Super Contributor

I did try calling C/S but they are not working on Sundays it said. 

Esteemed Contributor

I can see the chunk very good - looks more like a split and then the 'trunk' doesn't cover the inner section of the tree.  Without that protective truck covering - insects or disease could result - or cause rot to occur over time.  The green stems look real good - - the roots look properly cut.  Just that chunk sections does appear a question.

I can't see your pictures when I'm typing - did it come as bare root or did you pull it out of a pot of dirt? 

With roses sold as bare root - they say to soak the roots in a pail of water over night - giving the plant a good drink of water and it wakes it up from dormant stage.

Post any additional info you might have.

Honored Contributor

Don't they guarantee the plants for a year?  I think I'd go ahead and plant it and see how it does.  The top looks very healthy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ugabugabooooo wrote:

root showing slilce.jpg

root 2.jpg

Here is a picture of the root.  Not sure how good the "chunk" missing shows up. 

root1.jpg

The top is green and has tiny sprouts. top.jpg

I am not a gardener. Haven't even tried in years. Not a green thumb but decided since I was stuck at home it was something to do!  I have no idea if this is ok or not.   Thanks for everyones advice!

@ugabugabooooo   It has roots and root hairs, and is green at the top, very healthy looking, pot it or plant it, there is a warranty of one year, I believe, and if it dies within that time, you will receive a replacement or refund, check on this in the description.  I have never had a problem with any Cottage Farms roses and I have a lot of them.

Super Contributor

It was a bare root purchase.  This is how it arrived.  I went ahead and planted.  I will see how it goes.   Thanks for all of your responses! 

Honored Contributor

Looking at the closeup of the root system, it's even on all sides. When you said there were only roots on one side I wondered. But your photo shows roots on all sides. That chunk or split right below the trunk looks okay. It's going to be below ground anyway & not visible. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼