New Contributor

Cottage Farms Question - My Blueberry Plants are coming soon - planting locations?

Hello fellow friends and patrons:

I purchased two sets of the blueberry plants and they are being delivered to my area, (Northern CA) at the end of March 2015.

While I was awaiting their arrival, I went to a local Green Acres store and read up on Blueberries. I had no idea there were so many varieties available. Further, different ones will do better and require different lengths of cold/freezing temps. in order to perform at their optimum level.

I purchased two sets of two plants so I'll be receiving four all together in a very short timeframe. I am trying to prepare my yard for their arrival and planting. I thought I had it all figured out until I went to Green Acres and read and viewed their planting information regarding blueberries. I have a large area running alongside the south facing wall of our home. I was intending to place all four in that location. Here's my concern - will they get enough cold time there? I know they'll get enough heat in the spring/summer months. In fact, I'm concerned it may get too hot with them next to the house. I will be planting them about 1 foot out from the house and I can go up to 18 inches if needed.

I could plant them on the north side of our home so they'll get the "cold" they'll need (I think) in the winter. However, I don't think they'll receive enough sun in the spring and summer. They will receive filtered sunlight as the majority of the north side is shaded by our neighbor's huge backyard tree.

I'm open to suggestions please. I realize there's instructions in the plants when they arrive. I am trying to make the planters now and that's why I'm hoping to get my questions answered prior to their arrival in a very few days.

I believe they are called the Chandler Blueberries? They are bushes, they turn vibrant red in the fall and, apparently, they are bigger blueberries than the regular ones. The Cottage Farms spokesman also implied these do well in less than desirable soil conditions.

Help please and thank you for your time and assistance in advance. I really want to do well with my blueberries ; )

Charlene Bryant

Honored Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms Question - My Blueberry Plants are coming soon - planting locations?

Full sun location and very acidic soil. Check pH about 4"" from soil surface for pH amounts. This is what we hand homeowners on blueberry culture and care:

Look under the left side of page under Fruits and Vegetables for Blueberry Growing.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms Question - My Blueberry Plants are coming soon - planting locations?

Angelllady1, I wouldn't use your last name on the forum, it is supposed to stay anonymous. I bought the blackberries from Cottage Farms, and will grow them in big pots in sun.

Honored Contributor

On 3/17/2015 JustJazzmom said:

Full sun location and very acidic soil. Check pH about 4"" from soil surface for pH amounts. This is what we hand homeowners on blueberry culture and care:

Look under the left side of page under Fruits and Vegetables for Blueberry Growing.

What she said. Acidic soil is very important!

New Contributor

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I read the information under "Fruits and Vegetables"for Blueberry Growing JustJazzmom provided. That information was very entailed and the diseases these can get has nearly made me want to cancel my order!! I won't though - I've begun a process and I'll see it through. I enjoy gardening and this is my latest endeavor. Thank you again for all your assistance. I will keep you posted on how it goes ; ) AL

New Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Angellady1 said:

Hello fellow friends and patrons:

I purchased two sets of the blueberry plants and they are being delivered to my area, (Northern CA) at the end of March 2015.

While I was awaiting their arrival, I went to a local Green Acres store and read up on Blueberries. I had no idea there were so many varieties available. Further, different ones will do better and require different lengths of cold/freezing temps. in order to perform at their optimum level.

I purchased two sets of two plants so I'll be receiving four all together in a very short timeframe. I am trying to prepare my yard for their arrival and planting. I thought I had it all figured out until I went to Green Acres and read and viewed their planting information regarding blueberries. I have a large area running alongside the south facing wall of our home. I was intending to place all four in that location. Here's my concern - will they get enough cold time there? I know they'll get enough heat in the spring/summer months. In fact, I'm concerned it may get too hot with them next to the house. I will be planting them about 1 foot out from the house and I can go up to 18 inches if needed.

I could plant them on the north side of our home so they'll get the "cold" they'll need (I think) in the winter. However, I don't think they'll receive enough sun in the spring and summer. They will receive filtered sunlight as the majority of the north side is shaded by our neighbor's huge backyard tree.

I'm open to suggestions please. I realize there's instructions in the plants when they arrive. I am trying to make the planters now and that's why I'm hoping to get my questions answered prior to their arrival in a very few days.

I believe they are called the Chandler Blueberries? They are bushes, they turn vibrant red in the fall and, apparently, they are bigger blueberries than the regular ones. The Cottage Farms spokesman also implied these do well in less than desirable soil conditions.

Help please and thank you for your time and assistance in advance. I really want to do well with my blueberries ; )

Angellady1

Esteemed Contributor

Have some 'netting' handy in the event the birds like your berries too!

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Angellady1 said:

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I read the information under "Fruits and Vegetables"for Blueberry Growing JustJazzmom provided. That information was very entailed and the diseases these can get has nearly made me want to cancel my order!! I won't though - I've begun a process and I'll see it through. I enjoy gardening and this is my latest endeavor. Thank you again for all your assistance. I will keep you posted on how it goes ; ) AL

All I have to offer is to place the plants in full sun, and mix amendments into the soil to make it acidic unless your soil is already. When putting the netting over the plants, be sure to close it off at the bottom so that no critter can get in and get trapped. this is what I will do with the blackberry plants that I bought from Cottage Farms, except that they only need slightly acidic soil, I will check on this.

Occasional Contributor

Hi - we have 26 blueberry bushes in our back yard (along with blackberries, raspberries, grapes, apple, peach, pear and cherry trees) and I would advise NOT to place them 12 or 18" away from your house wall. All fruit needs air circulation. Ideally, for blueberries, the bed should have been prepared last year, but if you are diligent about the acid content of the soil, you should be okay. And our blueberries have not had a single episode of pests, and the oldest 12 bushes will be 26 this year. Blueberries are spectacular bushes in the landscape, and the berries are the best, just give them room to grow.

Respected Contributor

Full sun and unless there are small bushes, 4 feet apart. As they grow they will make a full bush. Our in south Georgia are 10 feet or more apart, but they are 30 years old or older. We are the blueberry capitol of Georgia, and we start harvesting in late May till it gets too hot in July that the berries start busting on the bush. In cooler climates you would have berries all season. We have one bush under the shade of a pine tree and it produces berries through the summer because of the shade from the harsh southern sun.

Make sure you have a male and a female of each or you won't have blueberries. They have to pollinate like we do, one of each gender. I don't know the variety you have chosen. I looked up your breed here http://www.gurneys.com/product/chandler_blueberry/fruits-and-berries They look beautiful and recommend 5 feet apart at least. They will make a full bush but your variety won't grow down in our zone 8 heat. We need a ladder to hand pick ours.

Here are pics of typical blueberry farms in south Georgia.

Image result for south georgia blueberries

Image result for south georgia blueberries machine harvesting

hand picking

Image result for south georgia blueberries

This is what we do to insulate them from frost after they start budding in late February. These are a new planted crop since they are so small.