New Contributor

Re: Cottage Farm & Roberta experience?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will, of course, buy everything that I can from the one local nursery (within a 1 - 1/2 hr drive - except for a poor excuse for a Lowes.) Did I mention that I live in a very rural area?! She has been in business for over 50 years and has been my go to for plants. I've discussed the plants that I'm considering and she has suggested many of them even though she doesn't carry them. She doesn't try to sell everything out there, but she knows about plants and is extremely helpful.

Mousiegirl - thank you for your suggestions about other companies. I will look into them. I've already checked out any companies that I've heard about like Park Seed, Burpee's, Gurney's, Springhill, Henry Fields and some more I can't remember right now.

The QVC plants that I'm considering are all a better deal as to size of plant, price, availability, etc. Many of QVC's are supposedly perennial while others are just annuals. A few I haven't even found elsewhere, just seeds.

Like I said, I just wondered about these two companies' true reputations. The hosts on QVC get so excited selling that they can be more of a nuisance. And the rep's have a lot of knowledge, but . . . . they are trying to convince you to give them your money right?!

Thanks again. I believe I will cut my list back, but still try a few. I'll post later to let you know my actual experience.

Super Contributor

I have two types of Roberta's indoor plants that are doing very well. I didn't have much luck with Cottage Farms plants.

Respected Contributor

Buy locally. I've tried several Roberta's products with disappointing results, & I followed their instructions to the letter. I didn't even bother trying to contact them about replacements or refunds. But, then, I didn't spend a lot either. It sounds like you'll be making a substantial investment in plants.

I have bought from both Cottage Farms and Roberta's. I have never received a plant from either one of them that looked like it does on TV. I have only had 1-2 plants that have actually grown. The bad thing is that every year, for the last 3-4 years, I have ordered more plants. Need my head examined. Buy locally.

Trusted Contributor

My sedum came yesterday from Cottage Farms. Was a bit apprehensive on opening the box but very happy to see they were all alive and well. Everything I have ordered from them have thrived. The sun patients last year were a huge success, huge and beautiful. The few things I have ordered from Roberta's in the past have not succeeded. I do buy locally also.

Esteemed Contributor

I totally agree with previous postings - buy a couple from either CF or R... but don't spend the bank roll on either.

Last year - and I have already ordered for this Spring delivery from PROVEN WINNERS - what beautiful petunias - big colorful no deadheading - OMG. My local landscape biz, which is first class, carries Proven Winners but not a big selection. 2013 I purchased Supertuina Visa Bubblegum (sounds good enough to eat) a lovely pink for hanging pots mixed with other PW filler plants (deep maroon/white) I was so impressed with the quality & they lasted until frost. I did use a fish/seaweed based liquid fertilizer every couple of weeks (Neptune) but they were absolutely beautiful and you'll receive big healthy plants.

Now not all plants are available online - left hand side of screen will show a price/size IF it's available for mail order.

Enjoy your garden!

Esteemed Contributor

Just read a couple of other comments - From CF I've received tiny dried out sticks instead of full green plants. Average 1 out of 3 plants have lived...............for awhile ( month perhaps).

To be honest: buyer beware!

Super Contributor

I began ordering from Cottage Farms years ago and later Roberta's, because our local nurseries don't offer any guarantee whatsoever. If you buy it and the plant dies, you're sorry and out of luck! I have three very full and lush gardens on our property, and the majority of the flowering trees, flowering bushes, and an array of flowers are from Cottage Farms and many from Roberta's. People stop in front of my house to admire that garden all the time.

One tip I would give is to be patient. Contrary to what the companies would have you believe, the plants will not look like the pictures or on TV, the first season. It will take two or three years, but the payoff is that once established, they are there for the duration. Not every plant has been a winner, but you have the assurance of knowing that during that first year either company will replace any dead or deficient plants. One caveat--sometimes the replacement may not be the same color as the original, so if you're fussy about color schemes like I am, be sure and specify your wishes to CS.

I buy from these two companies because they offer items I don't find anywhere else, and I'm willing to take a chance, not a risk because of the guarantee. And where else could I ever find perennial snapdragons, my latest passion?!

Regular Contributor

I purchased CF for several years but had no luck whatsoever. Last year I tried Roberta's and I was much happier. The plants received were ready to grow. Still not 100% satisfied but not everything I get from QVC is like it appears on air!
Valued Contributor

Just read the reviews, after doing so, I decided that I would buy locally. Be sure and ask your local retailer if they can order certain plants for you. I have found that they have been more than happy to do so. Of course that was a local nursery/hardware store and they try and please their customers. I know, I know, didn't know such a place exists anymore!!!

Love my locally owned hardware/nursery.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I just went back and took a look at the reviews for several of Roberta's plants. I can't believe anyone buys and of their items with the horrible 1 and 2 star reviews. It is too bad and I wish their plants were better, but how can they make any money if they honor their guarantees????? {#emotions_dlg.devil2}