Highlighted
New Contributor

Cottage Farm & Roberta experience?

I really need your help. I am finally getting my yard landscaped! I'm unable to travel so I buy most things locally or online. I have been watching the garden shows and have fallen in love with many of the plants that are otherwise unavailable to me.

It makes me nervous to purchase so many plants for the first time from someone I've never done business with like this, but it's not like I can order one thing at a time to check out their quality. It seems most of the reviews on the different plants are from unhappy customers. I'm hoping the happy ones are too busy enjoying theirs to respond!

I'm wanting to buy quite a few things, but am on the fence. Can anyone give me any positive reviews on these companies? I've "googled" most of the plants and for the majority, elsewhere they cost more, are only available as seeds or are sold out -with no prices or reviews).

Most of the plants seem to be a good deal for what you get - if they are honest in their sales pitches. I'm a reasonably good gardener with a mostly green thumb. I just don't want to be taken in by a good sales pitch! Help!

Valued Contributor

Re: Cottage Farm & Roberta experience?

If I were going to purchase a lot of plants, I would purchase the bulk of them through a local nursery with a good reputation. Most of them offer some sort of warranty on their products. Many times, they can order specialty plants for you. That being said, I have never had an experience with QVC's plant vendors.

Respected Contributor

I agree that you would get excellent plants if you buy from a local nursery, or from a store that offers locally grown plants, since they are already acclimated to your area. I've done both - bought locally and from QVC. I have to say that the plants I get locally seem to be sturdier and quicker to flower, but QVC's vendors do offer plants that you can't find locally in most areas. Some of the things I've bought from the Q have done well, while others seem to have suffered from the transit to my home. I suspect that plants ordered after the heat sets in here would have a very bad effect.

If you're looking for "usual" plants, I would buy locally. If you want specialty things that aren't offered locally, then I think either Roberta's or Cottage Farms would serve you well. Both offer guarantees, and from my experience, they stand behind what they sell.

Valued Contributor

I agree, I would purchase locally. I have purchased some from both Roberta's and Cottage Farm. Some did not grow and some did not come back. Forget the warranty!

Honored Contributor

I buy everywhere I got on line and researched companies selling what I was interested in, mostly plants that were not available at garden centers, and all much less expensive than garden centers. I buy large shrubs and trees locally.

Some very good garden companies which deliver excellent plants and stand by them, are Wayside, White Flower Farm, Digging Dog, just to name a few. There are companies specializing in Hydrangeas from which I bought a ton, but also buy them from the companies I mentioned. I bought a set of three from cottage Farms this year, but havn't received them yet.

I just received the sedum from Cottage Farms, and it looks great after being en route for a week. Everything I ordered from this company last year, is thriving. I ordered a set of three butterfly plants from Roberta's last year, and one arrived half dead and soon died, the other two are okay, but the plants were very small, not as was presented, so didn't order any Roberta's this year.

Last year, I bought tons of Daylilies from different companies on line, and they are wonderful, strong plants, and most orders came with one to three bonus plants. I just potted them in one gallon black cans or larger, just love this process, as I wasn't able to plant them right away, and I have bought all of my old fashioned roses such as Austin, on line, on their own roots so they are much stronger than grafted.

A lot of my plants also come from divisions of plants that I bought years ago, helps to fill in spaces at no cost, and affords drifts of plants for a wonderful effect.

I recently ordered many Hostas on line from Gilbert Wild which also sells Daylilies which I bought last year, and other plants, and I will be receiving a bonus plant, not to mention that the prices of the plants are less than elsewhere.

My advice would be to get on line, look for what you want, and look for the best price and the company's guarantee, etc., a lot of fun shopping, and more fun to receive and enjoy.Smile

Super Contributor

I would definately buy locally! They know what is best for your garden. I haven't had much luck with my plant purchases from QVC. Like someone else said, some didn't grow at all or I would get tiny growth then it would die.

Honored Contributor

Everything I've ordered from Roberta's has died. I've had better luck with CF but their plants are very tiny. I would also recommend buying locally...you'll get better quality plants acclimated to your area. I've bought wonderful daylilies from eBay and Smokey's daylily Farm.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I'm done buying anything from Cottage Farms and Roberta's. Everything I've gotten has either never bloomed, died right off the bat or bloomed very little then looked dead. I've tried many different things, the patio tree, the butterfly bush and others. I'll stick to buying from my local nursery.

Frequent Contributor

I, too, have bought from Roberta's and they have all died. I will only buy local now.

Super Contributor

On 3/10/2015 Jackielee said:

I would definately buy locally! They know what is best for your garden. I haven't had much luck with my plant purchases from QVC. Like someone else said, some didn't grow at all or I would get tiny growth then it would die.

I agree. A local grower will know what grows best in your area. You might also ask if they would be willing to come to your home and see the area you want to plant and give you suggestions for things that will grow well in that spot. They may charge you to do that but, in the long run, it's worth it.