Frequent Contributor

I currently have a gas mower, but it is old and will need to replace soon.   I am thinking of going to a battery operated mower.   Can't use a corded one as my yard is very deep.  I am tired of buying gasoline and oil and want something more environmentally friendly.

Does anyone have a cordless lawnmower?   If so, what brand do you recommend. Also, would probably need self propelled, unless it it not too heavy.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cordless Lawnmower

[ Edited ]

I have a few friends who have cordless mowers. Their biggest complaint was that you have to cut more often and not let the grass get too tall b/c it will cause the mower to bog down. Then it drains the battery and if you have a large area to cut then you might need to recharge. One friend likes hers b/c she has a very small lawn. The others are reconsidering getting a gas mower.

ETA- Cordless mower batteries last about 5 years average. The cost to replace them can be high...like $300 (high end) depending on make, model and where you buy it. Making the batteries does pollute the environment and so does the disposal of them. Weigh your options wisely.

Respected Contributor

My husband has a cordless lawnmower the brand is called Ego. Got it from Home Depot. He really likes it.

Respected Contributor

Greenworks 40V 20 inch Cordless 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I had a Black and Decker one about ten years ago. I loved it, but the batteries failed after three years and B&D had sold the replacements to DeWalt and each replacement battery was over $200+ $50 S&H and it took two batteries. Brand new the mower had cost $369, so spending $500 for two new batteries was crazy. I went to a corded electric mower and a 140' cord.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cordless lawnmower? Aren't they all cordless?

DH has 2 of the same Honda gas mowers. One was free.

They shipped us 2 but never sent return label to get one back. Each cost between $400-$500.

I have never seen a lawn mower with a cord. What a PITA!

I told DH I was going to buy one of the robotic lawnmowers if he dies before me. I refuse to mow or pay someone else to do it. LOL!!!

If all else fails I can spray the lawn with round up like some other people do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My yard is mostly 'xeriscaped'...AKA weeds...lol! Low maintenance.

Respected Contributor

I have a self propelled Ryobi 20in 40Volt 6.0 & love it, use it for the front yard instead of the gas riding mower. I have lots of 40Volt Ryobi yard tools & power tools, they all can use the same battery so it works out great. Good luck & Be well @quilter61.

Super Contributor

Mine is a Ryobi; and the only complaint I have is that it doesn't cut the lawn as short as my gas-powered one. I know that it's better for the lawn if you leave it a bit taller, but I really like the look of a manicured, short lawn.  I do love not needing gasoline!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have enjoyed my Greenworks 40v mower for 5 years, but I have a small yard.  It came with a 2Ah and a 4Ah battery.  The smaller one became fairly useless two years ago. It was nice to use for the blower but it was never good for mowing.  The 4Ah battery only lasts about 20 minutes now if I'm lucky.  I should buy another battery so I can finish the yard without taking a long break to recharge the battery. So, I guess 5 years if one is lucky is the life of a battery.  (Batteries are definitely not environmentally friendly.)

If I have to I would definitely buy another battery powered mower, but a measly 40v Greenworks will not cut it for a larger yard.  One would need a far more expensive mower with larger batteries..especially if you want a self propelled mower.  I understood Ego was the best brand, but I haven't looked lately.

So, a bigger mower and 2 big batteries, whatever they take that is larger than 4 Ah. No futzing with oil changes, spark plugs, pulling a cord til your shoulder breaks....but more money spent upfront and also in 3-5 years for replacement batteries.