Respected Contributor

Container Soil Difference/Preference

This summer I reworked most of my flower pots but ended up using different brands. I am seeing a difference.
The Kellogg brand I got at HD was organic material for containers. Plants in those pots seem stunted, not particularly full and green. One pot had drainage holes but still seemed overly wet. This variety had moisture retention properties.
I wonder if having moisture retention works against you when there is lots of rain.
Any recommendations or experience?
Honored Contributor

Re: Container Soil Difference/Preference

I do not have a green thumb but the last few years I have been determined to become better at gardening.

If you go to the Miracle Gro site, there is a description of the different types of soil.

I will never use  potting soil again on anything.

I'm using their container soil for my large container of tomatoes.

There's also a raised bed & ground variety, in addition to the potting soil.

I'm using their new organic soil and it's the difference in night & day.

I also use the blossom booster that was sold on QVC, not sure if it's still in inventory.

But there's no magic to it, Miracle Gro makes a similar product.

Honored Contributor

I typically use Miracle-Gro potting mix with good results. This year my local Walmart ran out and I tried a couple of different bags of organic potting mix, but I'm not impressed by them. I did get some Miracle-Gro for my hanging baskets, and they're doing great. I used the moisture retaining soil a few years ago and hated it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I also hated the water retention soil when I thought it would be better. Very odd product.  Plants didn't seem to like it either.

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom   I use Miracle Grow which has fertilizer in it, and all plants thrive in this, even veges and tomatoes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Twins Mom  I used the moisture retention soil one year and didn't like it. Now I just use MG soil and don't use a catch basin under my pots (mosquitos!). I have a small patio, so I can monitor the moisture closely. I soak thoroughly and allow to dry out for about a week, or until the plants start to show signs of drying out. We got rid of our veggie garden this year because we are getting ready to sell the house. So, I have the tomatoes, basil and herbs on the patio. So far so good.