Regular Contributor

Container Planting: Have you used the "Lasagna Method?"

Hi Everyone,

I received an email from Breck's last weekend in which the basics of "lasagna planting" in containers was explained.  Photos were also included.  Having not previously seen this method of container planting, I found it really interesting and would like to try it.

Have any of you planted in containers using this method?  How successful was it for you?  What did you plant in your container?

Our move 2 weeks ago took us from a huge backyard to a very small patio size "backyard," so a container or two placed in just the right spot would bring splashes of color that I'm looking for.  3/4 of the remainder will be devoted to creating a Japanese garden.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

~Rebecca

Honored Contributor

Re: Container Planting: Have you used the "Lasagna Method?"

I think Breck's is trying to sell bulbs, and most bulb flowering plants bloom in Spring.  So any such display would be interesting but pretty-much done by the start of Summer.  David Culp is well-known for his garden and book, The Layered Garden, which explores layering of perennials in the garden for continuous color from Spring to Fall.  I think the concept is great but perhaps easier said than done.  BTW, Culp's garden is near Coatesville, PA, very near QVC in West Chester.  It's open for private tours.

The Layered Garden

Regular Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I think Breck's is trying to sell bulbs, and most bulb flowering plants bloom in Spring.  So any such display would be interesting but pretty-much done by the start of Summer.  David Culp is well-known for his garden and book, The Layered Garden, which explores layering of perennials in the garden for continuous color from Spring to Fall.  I think the concept is great but perhaps easier said than done.  BTW, Culp's garden is near Coatesville, PA, very near QVC in West Chester.  It's open for private tours.

The Layered Garden

@ValuSkr

Many thanks for your take on this.  Of couse Breck's is in the business of selling product, whatever it might be.  I've purchased from them for years and also directly from Holland after our 3 trips to Kuekenhauf. However, I was interested in the layering of bulbs within a large container mentioned in Brecks' most recent communicaton.

Appreciate the link to the book on Amazon.  Did give it a quick glance and plan to spend some quality time with it tomorrow, with consideration toward a purchase, as I've got a football game coming up in 10 minutes.

Thanks, again.

Honored Contributor

I am not sure what the lasagna method is but if it is layering things.  I layer tulips with pansies over the top of them.  I tried keep them in the pots when I planted geraniums and fillers for the summer but found the tulip bulbs rotted from too much water and were inconsistent the next year.   I still layer but now I treat the tulips as annuals.  I buy 50 bulbs locally and plant three large patio pots with winter pansies on top.  After they are done I pull them out and toss them and plant with my summer flowers.