Respected Contributor

Constant rain causing black spot...i cant control

We've had rain just about every day for 3 months straight.   Most days its constant and all day.  My Rose's are suffering from blackspot despite all my treatments.  I use Bayers systemic, and spray regularly with disease control sprays.  Home remedies are not strong enough.  I'm diligent about cutting off all infected leaves, and keeping everything clean, etc, etc.  So many bad leaves,(I remove them all)  most canes are just about bare, but the canes look healthy,  and keep putting out new buds.

Tell me, is this out of control if it keeps on raining?

Also, I'm in Florida...1000% percent humidy😓 and heat index 100 degrees...just lovely.  

Had alot rain last year too, but didn't have blackspot this bad.

Am I doing all there is...and the rain is causing blackspot??

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Constant rain causing black spot...i cant control

Unfortunately as great as high moisture levels are for the root systems of plants it can become a breeding ground for ugly stuff like blackspot, mold, etc.  Clipping away infected leaves and  regular treatments of fungicides are the best weapons of defense.  I love Neem oil for this purpose as it fights the mold and black spot, but also helps to deter those pesty leaf eating bugs away from your plants.  

You can find Neem oil (usually blended with other treatments agents) in concentrate forms at most garden centers and home stores.  One of my favorite brands is Garden Safe.  Espoma, which is my favorite brand for fertilizers came out with their version of a 3-in-1 Neem OIl this year and I tried it.  So far it's fine, but I'll probably purchase the Garden Safe when I run out which at the rate I'm spraying this year will be by the 4th of July.Woman Frustrated 

Respected Contributor

@Trix wrote:

Unfortunately as great as high moisture levels are for the root systems of plants it can become a breeding ground for ugly stuff like blackspot, mold, etc.  Clipping away infected leaves and  regular treatments of fungicides are the best weapons of defense.  I love Neem oil for this purpose as it fights the mold and black spot, but also helps to deter those pesty leaf eating bugs away from your plants.  

You can find Neem oil (usually blended with other treatments agents) in concentrate forms at most garden centers and home stores.  One of my favorite brands is Garden Safe.  Espoma, which is my favorite brand for fertilizers came out with their version of a 3-in-1 Neem OIl this year and I tried it.  So far it's fine, but I'll probably purchase the Garden Safe when I run out which at the rate I'm spraying this year will be by the 4th of July.Woman Frustrated 

Thanks trixx...I have neem oil.   I'm hearing thunder as we speak...here we go again🌧🌩

Honored Contributor

Neem oil is an insect control. The only thing I can suggest is limit extra watering & chose more disease resistant roses in the future. Look at these for pretty much disease resistant roses: https://www.kordes.us/

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Neem oil is an insect control. The only thing I can suggest is limit extra watering & chose more disease resistant roses in the future. Look at these for pretty much disease resistant roses: https://www.kordes.us/

@JustJazzmom If you research Neem Oil you will learn that it can offer other treatment benefits to plants other than insect control.  The Neem oil sold in most graden centers however (as I stated) usually contains other disease fighting agents and Neem oil is only one of the major components of the product.