Honored Contributor

Cold and windy here in Maine

I went out to keep the bird feeders filled,so cold here, not many birds around today,  and they are not eating the suet cakes i have in the hangers.Fruit and nut kind.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: Cold and windy here in Maine

I am a fan of the New England states and Maine is one I have visited often.  

You are most kind to feed the birds and even though there aren't many around now, they will be around .  Merry Christmas!!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest Sounds like you have our weather from yesterday (NE Ohio)!  I had a DR appt in the afternoon, so I had to leave work early for that, then stop at the store, then go home.  I was soooo happy when I walked in my back door (by that time I think I was getting numb).

It's still pretty cold, but less windy and sunny here today, so maybe you'll get that tomorrow.  It's suppposed to stay above freezing with NO precip at least through Christmas.  Personally, I don't need snow, and my BIL plows, so we can all be together for the holiday this year!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest @spiderw , winter is here in Nova Scotia!  Cold, snowy and windy until today.  LM

Valued Contributor

I love Maine such a beautiful state!  Every summer we visit. Very cold here in lower New England too. Warms my heart you are looking out for the birds 💖

Honored Contributor

Bwlieve it or not, we're having similar  weather in the sunny Southwest.  It has been around 16° the past 3 nights and very breezy at times.  It does warm up to high 30s or low 40s during the afternoons.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I went out to keep the bird feeders filled,so cold here, not many birds around today,  and they are not eating the suet cakes i have in the hangers.Fruit and nut kind.

@goldensrbest- We're finding the same thing (another Mainer here)  Not that many birds at all and the suet cakes are being "nibbled" at but not at the rate we'd normally see.  We've noticed a lack of birds for at least a couple of months now and the plethora of squirrels we'd usually have are non-existent.

We've been wondering what on earth is going on.  But like you, I keep the feeders filled anyway.  There are smaller birds:  chickadees, nuthatches, titmouses and some bluejays, but not a sign of the woodpeckers we've had before.

I put extra seed on the bird table, because we have deer that come up to it and eat the seed.  One of them has a young baby with her, so I put out apples occasionally, too.

Trusted Contributor

So many sparrows here that DH feeds yearound.

Our yard is like s Disney movie at times with sparrows, cardinals, blue jays and red, gray and back squirrels.

Greetings to you in Maine.

Honored Contributor

It is so nice of you to feed the birds.  My mother always did that.  I live in an apt. and we are not allowed to have bird feeders on our decks.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

It's cold in VA, and I can't feed deer at this time of year. I've been filling three feeders for birds and squirrels and love watching them. 
  The seed store said to keep it fresher to only fill them partially full. I've been filling them morning and evening. 
   The two does and three fawns sometimes come and eat what the birds drop. I don't feed them. 
   A new neighbor who planted shrubs in his woods complained that I was feeding deer. Now, even though I haven't been feeding them the wildlife people say I can't feed the birds because it brings the deer. 
   I've taken all feeders down and the birds and deer come and I can't feed them. My woods aren't the same. So I watch them and cry!

I'm considering moving.