Valued Contributor

I planted the citronella geraniums in the ground and they are doing ok but they just lay on the ground and no flowers so far. I must have done something wrong. Also my tri color butterfly bush is the same size as I planted it a month and a half ago. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Scented geraniums bloom intermittently, and often late in the summer.  The appeal is the fragrant leaves (rub them to release the oils).  I like the leaf shape, also.

I don't know where you are, but it is still relatively cool for some of the hot weather loving plants to really take off, especially if this is a newly planted butterfly bush.  Last night in VA it went down to 59 degrees, night before last 55, and not long ago it was 43!

Give things some time, and water during dry spells.  Make sure everybody gets partial to full sun, and likely you will be rewarded.  Gardening is about patience, and small influences that lead to progress.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia @Thank you I think I am an impatient gardener. This is my first year. I am in northern Florida so it is extremely hot these days I do water frequently. 

Regular Contributor

I live in Southwest Florida and planted these in pots.  They are doing well and have been blooming for at least 6 weeks.  As another poster said, they bloom intermittently, so I haven't seen flowers constantly.

I make sure I water every day, since we have been in the mid to upper 90's for almost 2 weeks now.

Very fragrant.

Honored Contributor

@Elom wrote:

I planted the citronella geraniums in the ground and they are doing ok but they just lay on the ground and no flowers so far. I must have done something wrong. Also my tri color butterfly bush is the same size as I planted it a month and a half ago. 

@Elom   If you are speaking of scented geraniums, I have at least forty different scents, and they grow like wildfire here, and have been blooming for months already.  They do need to be pinched back or they become very large and leggy.  They do not require a lot of water unless they are in pots, then need water more often, when soil is very dry.