Valued Contributor

I have 6 christmas cactus starts that seem to be doing well.  I never did this before so just assumed when they grew I would get some greenery.  It looks like I have buds on them.  Has anyone started some segments and what should be growing on them.  The buds haven't opened yet so hope they are the color they should be.  I purchased the segments for yellow, some look light pink but haven't opened yet. 

Super Contributor

Re: Christmas Cactus Starts?

WOW I have never seen one in yellow.   I have the red and dark pink.  The red one is over 25 years and starts blooming right after Thanksgiving every year.  The pink opens after Christmas.  They both get filtered light and are happy.  I water once a week.  Sorry I don't have anymore info for you but good luck.

Honored Contributor

Christmas cacti flower based on daylength, temperature, and stress (lack of water.) You can get them to flower pretty much any time of the year by manipulating those three factors. It sounds like yours decided to flower now. If they've rooted (and they likely have) you'll get green growth after the flowering is done. They're a somewhat slow growing plant, but shockingly easy to root and multiply. You can't really tell much about the flower color until the buds open. The color on the outside doesn't always represent what's inside. The color may even change a bit over the individual flower's life cycle. It may start out pinkish then fade to a yellow.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

@kismet

i have started many from single stems or parts that have fallen off main plant.

some have gotten to be huge. I just put the starts in glass of water until I see roots.

its very easy, or can root the starts in soil. 

I got a yellow one but it died due to my lack of attention.

trying to star a tiny stem of it from what I could salvage.

the new growth will be lighter green and yes they can bloom any time of year at all.

i have seen than bloom couple times a year at different odd times.

very easy to root starts.

Esteemed Contributor

the New leaves look like blooms!  They are reddish then turn green.  Glad they are growing for you.

Honored Contributor

I have a  Xmas cactus that I got from my MIL over 40 years ago that was her MILs from at least 50 or 60 years ago now. I started out with a small branch, kept it in water for many years and then planted it. It flowers 2x  a year--at Easter and Xmas and is bright pink. I water it when I remember, usually once a month. A couple years ago I bought a pale yellow one too. It hasn;t bloomed again but looks good. I need to transplant them as they aren't very big for being so old. I got one from the pre school I worked at 20 years ago,that is doing well too. It is a dark pink. They are in my kitchen window over my sink that faces south. 

Valued Contributor

I did have a hard time finding a yellow cactus.  Thought I'd try the segments but was so surprised when I saw buds.  I expected the greenery.  I do have two other cactus that have done very well in african violet mix.  They are both a fuchsia color but one has a pink center and one a white.  It's not good to pick them out in a store at night under lights but I love both of them.  I also have taken some starts from mine to see if they'll grow.  Haven't had them in soil long so still waiting for them to grow something.  I wish I had more room in the north window for them but have so many evergreens around me I don't get a lot of light for long except in my living room.  I have seen a really pretty cactus on ebay that has two colors to it but the price is high and not knowing if I could get anything from a segment I thought I'd wait. I may try that if it's available in a few months. 

Valued Contributor

This is the double colored one.