Esteemed Contributor

7BD8780B-C5BC-4060-8CCE-C4034AD1B6C9.jpegA2B7B130-7E49-4880-986B-05E34FA27FA6.jpeg29148991-FF15-42C8-8FA9-D3EEE76FA94C.jpegI don't remember ever having chow finished in the month of August.  All done by the 31st of August.  Lovely fresh heirloom tomatoes.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Wonderful for you.  Isn't it nice to get it done for the year?  I only did sauce this year.  Just gloating looking in the cabinet.  Good eats.

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining , yes great to have it finished.  Now I can get my outdoor chores done without this distraction.  So hot here for us the tomatoes were ready early.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom --so tell me what chow is and what you make it from and what do you use it for. Could google it but like to hear from the chow makerWoman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl , every year I make relish, chow and pickled beets.

Chow is made from a mixture of green tomatoes, onions and red peppers.  It is a two day process.  Day one is vegetable prep (thank God for food processors).  The vegetables sit over night (after being sprinkled with coarse salt.). The next day, vegetables are drained of excess water, the pickling spice is wrapped in cheese cloth, vinegar and sugar are added.  The cooking process is four hours for my recipe.  I use 15 pounds of tomatoes and five pounds of onions, along with red peppers so it is a big batch.  It is canned hot.  I made two batches this year.

It is a spicy relish we use with turkey, roast beef, roast pork dinners etc.  It is a tradition passed down in my family and my husbands .  No holiday dinner is complete without it.  We often have to hide a bottle or two or Christmas.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom ----wow--it sounds delicious!!!!! Do you grow all those veggies? I used to do some water bath canning---peaches, pears, tomatoes and helped my SIL with canning beans in her enormous pressure canner----so amazingly good but a whole lot of work!!

thanks for the info and thanks for your incredible garden pics you post---I really enjoy them!!!Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

My Grandma used to make pepper hash for hot dogs with similar ingredients, this looks just like it.  I bet it's delicious!  Good u finished in time. 

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom 

My grandmother always made chow chow and it was delicious. I've canned tomatoes and made blackberry jelly this summer. However, I have never tried making chow chow. Maybe next year!

Honored Contributor

Chow chow relish is a big favorite in WV, but ours is not a pickled green tomato relish.   The one my family made is chopped and pickled cabbage, onions, carrots, red and green peppers.  

Many times an end of garden relish is made that includes green tomatoes, corn, green beans, zucchini, etc., but we never made that one either.    

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl , I have grown veggies in the past but not this year.  The canning process is a bit of labour and many don't do it for that reason but we love the end result.  I remember making this with my mother.  No food processors then, just daughters to help with the chopping😊.  LM