Esteemed Contributor

I’m fighting with a chipmunk who dug a hole near my front walkway.  He won’t leave.  I filled the hole back up a few times but he came back.  I tried putting a few rocks on top but he squeezed past them.  I caught him watching me when I turned around.  He was in my driveway observing.  Stubborn 🐿 

I have to check today and see if he gave up.

Trusted Contributor

@Snoopp : Ooh, give him my address😊 Used to have chipmunks but not any more. I'm sure it can get annoying but love those little personalities.

Good luck with the little critter.

Just thought of something. Out here in the desert we've gotten what are called cactus squirrels. They don't like to be seen but can create mounds of dirt in the yard burying the decorative rock.

I asked a wildlife rescuer I know and he told me to take a shovel and go straight down into the tunnel/hole. Don't turn the soil over but just straight down...should slide right in. If the ground is hard you've missed it and have to move a bit to get it to slide in. He said it should be like cutting thru butter.

He said it disrupts their tunnel. Then spray the area with a Pine Sol solution. The Pin Sol masks their urine smell which is a trail they follow. You may have to do it again if/when he pops up again where you don't want him.

Wonder if it'll work with chipmunks. Hope you let me know if you have any luck, if you try it

We were able to channel him/them to areas where it didn't matter.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the tip!  I checked the hole and it looks like he didn't attempt to get back into the tunnel so maybe he went somewhere else.  There are plenty of places for him so I sure hope so.  I may have won this chipmunk war.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chipmunk Wars

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp wrote:

I’m fighting with a chipmunk who dug a hole near my front walkway.  He won’t leave.  I filled the hole back up a few times but he came back.  I tried putting a few rocks on top but he squeezed past them.  I caught him watching me when I turned around.  He was in my driveway observing.  Stubborn 🐿 

I have to check today and see if he gave up.

@Snoopp   I have had a chipmunk in the past couple of years and probably will this year, too.  I got a humane trap from Amazon, baited it w/peanut butter, caught him, took him out into the country and let him go.  Good luck Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3I looked at these traps.  How did you release it from the trap?  I wonder if there is a button or door you press.  I don't want to get bitten by the critter.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopp You will NEVER win the war until "C" is removed - one way or another. 

"C" have 2 exits - an escape route.............so you may not see him to day - he's busy digging funnels somewhere else.

After 30 years..........he's been building sand dunes outside with my foundation soil.  ...3 are gone - 2 more I'm watching.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt  LOL   if I don't know he's there, I don't care.  Just don't mess with my walkway.  

My old golden retriever used to think they were toys and would catch them if they were slow.  She killed one once.  She would have loved to have gone after this one.

Super Contributor

Your lucky I have them living in the walls of my house and I plug things up but they keep on finding new ways to get in. They think they own this house and they take my bird seed from the birds. How can something as cute as they are be so sneaky?

Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@Patriot3I looked at these traps.  How did you release it from the trap?  I wonder if there is a button or door you press.  I don't want to get bitten by the critter.

@Snoopp  I wore gloves.  Put the p.butter on, way back, with a knife.  The door is easy to pull up.  Just be sure you are pointing the door away from you when you release him, raise the door and he will run like crazy!  They are easy to operate. 

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp I feel your pain.  I have a spot between the storm gutter which is surrounded by concrete and the driveway where it enters the garage.  I tried the rock thing.  I tried screening, they chewed right through it.  I think what I currently have there is considered hardware cloth?  Behind that is a very stiff metal gutter guard, and behind that large rocks.  The area next to the house that looks like a gap in the pic is actually the black gutter guard that is behind the hardware cloth.  I have large rocks covering the curved area because the gutter guard is too stiff to curve. BTW, I know the plant in the picture is invasive, but it has nowhere to go and I'm happy to have anything growing in that spot.  The dirt there is really bad.

Chippy Control 1.jpg

Chippy Control 2.jpg

Chippy Control 3.jpg