Esteemed Contributor

Can you identify this plant?

It came up in a pot outside.  Really different.....What flower.jpg

Has tiny white flowers right at the stem.  TIA

Trusted Contributor

Re: Can you identify this plant?

@ZhillsIt looks like a weed to me. Hope someone can give you the plant's name.

Honored Contributor

Usually if it's growing rapidly, it's a weed. I can't see enough of the plant to do an ID.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

My oldest son was a gardener for a few years and when I had something unknown pop up in my flower bed his explaination was......if you like it, it's a flower........if not, it's a weed.

Honored Contributor

@deeW wrote:

My oldest son was a gardener for a few years and when I had something unknown pop up in my flower bed his explaination was......if you like it, it's a flower........if not, it's a weed.

Can't believe this answer. IT'S PERFECT! I was just signing in to ask this VERY QUESTION! Our new house has the MOST beautiful acre of land, and in the spring, I felt as though I had a grasp on this, but with summer rain and summer sun, I've been AMBUSHED!

I just went outside and hacked away, and although I'm thrilled to rid my yard of this dubious foliage I also have terrible qualms about what I was hacking.

Tell your son I said "Thank You"!

Esteemed Contributor

I thought maybe it had been filler in an arrangement that got thrown out and just grew.  It is a perennial and comes back every year.  I have never seen this leaf configuration and can't find it on the internet.  Could have been imported with some other flowers for the floral shop??

Esteemed Contributor

Plant 1.jpg

Plant 2.jpg

Don't know why they are sideways!  I saved them straight.  Oh, well.

Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, seeing it that close up, it sure looks like a weed to me. I think I've pulled out similar plants on occasion. I even remember the white flower. The thing is, our forefathers took the best of these "weeds," cultivated them, and they became garden flowers.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you live in the South?  It reminds me of a form of Japanese clover that is common here.  If left alone, it could shape like a bush.

Esteemed Contributor

I googled Japanese clover and, yes, the leaf formation is similar but not the plant limb pattern.  I'll try to get a picture of it.  

Even if it's a weed, it has a name.  It is growing in one pot with an aloe plant.  The tiny white flowers are at the base of a limb on the main stem.  Not on the end of limbs like normally happens.