Esteemed Contributor

Hi @cotton4me! That was just enough time for me to run outside and snap a picture. 

This is what we call 'Snow on the Mountain ', (zone 5) medium green with a creamy yellow margin. Yours are deeper green with a clear white, but I'm sure there are lots of variations on that.

Mine has an irregularly toothed edge. Even though I remove the flower stalks as they appear, these spread rampantly via underground runners and can invade lawns, etc if poorly placed.

They grow abt 12" - 18" tall in shade or sun, bad soil, and are great for filling in areas bordered by concrete to keep growth under control.

It was the seed pods in your picture that caught my eye. That's definitely NOT the seed pod on mine.

I just checked the Euphorbia Marginata in my book and it looks like yours.

Is yours a semi-succulent?

I have no idea what my 'Snow on the Mountain' really is called. Maybe someone will recognize it. Lol!

20170814_111048.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge  You're talking to a total novice.  I know very little about gardening and plants.  I visit a nearby garden park where they have the most beautiful flowers and plants, many of which attract the bees and butterflies.  I go there to take photos but I have no idea what most things are.  I usually have to look up everything when I get home.  

I'm always impressed by the gardening knowledge here, along with all the beautiful garden photos. 

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123  Very cool that you have a butterfly garden.  I feel sad for the decreasing number of Monarchs.  Milkweed seems to be a favorite but I'm sure they appreciate all that you've provided.  

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123, I  grew up looking at the caterpillars crawling around on the milkweed that would spring up in a part of our yard every year.

About 6-8 years ago I spotted milkweed growing alongside the drive at the rear of a grocery store, where the semi's unload.

I spent the summer with gloves, bucket, and trowel in the back of my car, and stopped to dig up one milkweed every time I went to that store (yes, permission from manager, who asked me to take all the 'weeds' back there).

Although I ended up with a nice cluster of milkweed in my yard, they don't seem to attract butterflies.

I have more luck with (oh geez, I cant look up the spelling, please forgive me here) davidi and agastache and Russian Sage. I've only seen one Monarch this year, and NO swallow tails. I'm used to seeing multiple swallow tails daily in summer.

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

I took a photo of this butterfly but I have no idea what plant/shrub he's sitting on.  It has green and white flowers.  I've tried googling it but I can't find it.  

Thanks.

DSC04789 (640x480).jpg

@cotton4me  Sedum Frosty Morn.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge

Plants that attract butterflies
Alyssum
Aster
Bee balm
Butterfly bush
Calendula
Cosmos
Daylily
Delphinium
Dianthus
Fennel
Globe thistle
Goldenrod
Hollyhock
Lavender
Liatris
Marigold
Musk mallow
Nasturtium
Oregano
Phlox
Purple coneflower
Queen Anne's lace
Sage
Scabiosa
Shasta daisy
Stonecrop
Verbena
Yarrow
Zinnia

Plants that attract butterfly larvae (caterpillars)
Borage
Fennel
Grasses
Hollyhocks
Lupine
Milkweed
Nettle
Thistle
Willow

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge

I forgot to mention we have sedum plants also, but I will need to ask my husband the exact name. 

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me  It may be this Snow On The Mountain (Euphorbia Marginata)

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl

Yes, that's it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@cotton4me, so pretty!