Honored Contributor

Re: Can grape hyacinth be successfully grown in containers such as half barrels?

Most times @sfnative, bulbs bought in stores are pre chilled but you can chill them in a non moisture producing area of your fridge for about 6 weeks before planting. After chilling you can plant the bulbs in the ground provided the soil isn’t frozen. Plant at the proper depth required. There are charts online that show or tell you how deep to plant various bulbs.

Many Southern gardeners might do this with certain spring blooming bulbs because their soils remain warm over the winter & do not freeze. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can grape hyacinth be successfully grown in containers such as half barrels?

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Most times @sfnative, bulbs bought in stores are pre chilled but you can chill them in a non moisture producing area of your fridge for about 6 weeks before planting. After chilling you can plant the bulbs in the ground provided the soil isn’t frozen. Plant at the proper depth required. There are charts online that show or tell you how deep to plant various bulbs.

Many Southern gardeners might do this with certain spring blooming bulbs because their soils remain warm over the winter & do not freeze. 

@JustJazzmom

Thank you for the specific re non-moisture area of the frig.

I have planted many, many bulbs over the years, but this will be the first time planting in a half or quarter barrel container, hence my initial question.  Am so glad to know this is possible.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know why not.  I really like them, but they are very invasive and they last such a short time.   Maybe I'll try them in a container. 

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

I don't know why not.  I really like them, but they are very invasive and they last such a short time.   Maybe I'll try them in a container. 

Spanish Bluebells are another that naturalize if they are happy in the ground.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼